News

Home • News
View Archived News Articles

Boxing and wrestling were early 20th Century pastimes in Layton

Article Published 12/08/2015

Boxing and wrestling were popular indoor spectator sports in Layton from the 1920s into the mid-1940s.
“Athletic program for Layton fans” was an April 8, 1922 headline in the Ogden Standard-Examiner. Latonia Hall was the site of this event and the bouts featured many local boxers and wrestlers. Tom Layton of Layton was one of the boxers, as was Elder Walker, another Layton resident.
Other sources state that Latonia Hall, 52 North Main Street, was used as early as 1920 for boxing matches.
On Feb. 4, 1931, an “Athletic Carnival” was held in the West Layton Amusement Hall, with both boxing and wrestling matches. Admission costs for that event was 75 cents for reserved seats; 50 cents general admission and 25 cents for children.
According to the Davis County Clipper of April 3, 1942, a “Boxing Carnival” was held at the Layton Ward Recreation Hall several days prior. There were eight different boxing matches and one wrestling competition, attended by hundreds. Coach Howard “Tuff” Linford of Davis High School, as well as Bob Carver were the referees.
The Layton Jaycees organized a 15-round rings show on Dec. 28, 1946 at Davis High School. There were 10 boxing matches and five for wrestling. All admission to that event was $1 a person.
By the 1950s, local boxing had lost its popularity and high school wrestling became well organized to replace independent matches.