View Archived News Articles
Want to build a shed? Here are some tips
Did yard equipment and toys accumulate around your home over the summer? Thinking of building a shed?
Your first step should be to contact Layton City’s Community & Economic Development Department to find out what is allowed in your area.
Each area of the City has a zoning designation. Zoning restrictions apply to the amount of property that can be covered by structures on your lot, the building height and the distance a structure must be from the property line and from other structures.
To avoid future conflict, this department can also help you determine if there are easements on your property over which a shed cannot be placed.
Basic guidelines for placing sheds on your property are as follows:
• There must be a minimum of 6 feet between your shed and your home or any other structure on your lot.
• There must be a minimum of 12 feet between your shed and any structure on your neighbor’s lot.
• Sheds located less than 5 feet from the side or rear property lines must have one-hour fire resistance rated walls. Sheds cannot be located closer than 3 feet to the side or rear property lines. Sheds cannot be located over an easement unless written permission is given.
• If your property is on a corner lot, the shed must be placed 30 feet from the side property line in the A and R-S zones, and 25 feet from the side property line in the R-M1, R-M2 and R-H zones, and 20 feet from the side property line in the R-1-6, R-1-8, and R-1-10 zones.
• The maximum height for a shed is 25 feet in the A zone, 23 feet in the R-S zone and 18 feet in all other residential zones. The height of a shed is measured from the average grade of the ground by the shed to the midpoint of the roof which is between the peak and the eve of the roof. Please see a City Planner for specific instructions for placing the shed on the property especially if the height is more than 18 feet.
A building permit is not required for a shed less than 120 square feet unless any electrical components are installed.
You can apply for a building permit at our Web site. The following are the minimum submittal requirements for building permits:
• Two copies of the site plan indicating lot dimensions, size of existing structures, easements and the distance between existing structures and distance from the property lines. This plan does not have to be professionally drawn, but must be drawn to scale.
• Two copies of the floor plan of the proposed shed including size of the shed, location of openings, size of headers over all door and window openings, type of lumber to be used (2x4, 2x6, etc.), and size, spacing, and direction of truss (roof) materials.
• Two copies of exterior elevations showing the proposed design including the height and view of all sides of the shed.
The Community & Economic Development Department welcomes citizens to visit Monday through Friday at 437 North Wasatch Drive with zoning questions or building code requirements.
City Planners are available by phone at (801) 336-3780 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Building inspectors can be reached at (801) 336-3760 between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.