View Archived News Articles
Medication Take-Back Event
Layton - April 5, 2011
Davis HELPS(Health Education Law Enforcement Programs) is pleased to co-sponsor a very important event coming up on Saturday, April 30, 2011... Prescription Takeback. The Prescription Takeback event allows you to bring unused over-the-counter and prescription medications to one of the following locations so they can be safely destroyed. This event will take place throughout Davis County at the following sites:
555 South 200 West
2399 South Main St
1316 North Highway 89
1170 East Gentile
951 West 1700 South
2353 North Main St
Why Should I Take the Time To Do This?
- Many drugs flushed down the toilet cannot be removed by the sewer treatment plant or septic system.
- These substances then get into our streams, rivers, lakes, groundwater and our soil and may cause harm to the environment.
- Abuse of prescription drugs, particularly painkillers, has increased among teenagers and young adults.
- More than half of people who abuse painkillers get the drugs from friends or relatives.
- Children and pets can find medicine in your home or in your trash.
- Drugs may be taken by accident, on purpose or illegally sold.
- You can prevent accidental poisoning and drug abuse.
What if I cannot go to the Medication Take-Back Event?
- You can find permanent community collection sites near you at www.useonlyasdirected.org, and directions for safe disposal in your trash if there is no site near you. This website also lists other one-time Take-Back events occurring at different times and locations around the state.