News

Home • News
View Archived News Articles

A timeline of Layton’s history

Article Published 01/22/2015

The following is a chronology of important events in the history of Layton, Utah:
1849: The first white pioneer, likely Edward Phillips of Salt Lake, settles in what will become Layton.
1858: Christopher Layton, namesake of Layton City, opens a “Prairie House” at 128 South Main to cater to stage coach passengers.
1860: The first public school house in Layton opens.
1869-70:  Utah Central Railroad connects Ogden and Salt Lake City.
1881: The Davis and Weber Counties Canal Company is organized, bringing water to hundreds of farms.
1882: Denver and Rio Grande Railroad extends through the Layton/Kaysville area.
1886: Layton Post Office is established.
1891-1952:  Bamberger Interurban Railway operates between Ogden and Salt Lake City.
1902-1907: Layton de-annexes from Kaysville to become an unincorporated area.
1903: Telephones appear in Layton; The Woods Cross Canning Company factory begins operations.
1905-06: First National Bank of Layton opens; Severe east wind storm destroys many Layton buildings.
1915: Layton Sugar Company factory is built and operations begin.
1920: Layton incorporates as a town.
1929: Layton’s first fire station opens.
1936-1984: East Layton town is incorporated and then annexed back into Layton.
1937-1957: Laytona incorporated and then annexed back into Layton.
1940: Ground is broken for Hill Air Force Base.
1941: Layton’s first subdivisions—Hill Villa, Skyline and Ellison -- are started.
1941-45:  Layton’s pre-World War II population is 646 residents; By the war’s end, it soars to 3,456.
1943: Verdeland Park housing complex is built to support Hill Air Force Base during World War II.
1949: Layton becomes a third class city.
1957: Layton City purchases Verdeland Park property from the Federal Government.
1963: Fort Lane Shopping Center opens; Layton Sugar Factory has its last run.
1964: Verdeland Park is dismantled and Layton Commons Park begins to take its place.
1965: Layton High School begins its first classes.
1966: I-15 through Layton is completed.
1978: North Davis Hospital opens.
1979: Layton Pioneer Museum dedicated; its name later changed to Heritage Museum of Layton; its doors open in 1980.
1980: The Layton Hills Mall opens.
1985: Layton surpasses Bountiful in population with 36,000 residents to become Davis County’s largest city.
1986: Surf N’ Swim facility premieres to the public.
1986: The Davis County incinerator starts up in Layton.
1988: Layton Branch of the Davis County Public Library opens.
1989: Layton City builds a new city municipal building and complex.
1991: Layton’s first Wal-Mart opens.
1992: Northridge High School begins classes.
1992: Layton’s second fire station opens, this one on Church Street.
1992: West Hill Field Road expands to the Industrial Park.
1992: Layton’s theme of lighted animals in its holiday lighting display begins.
1995: The Ed Kenley Amphitheater opens.
1996: Layton’s “restaurant row” becomes a regional draw.
1997: West Hill Field Road is extended one mile west to 2200 West.
1998: Layton’s new flagship fire station opens at 2200 West Hill Field Road.
1999: Ellison Park, a major Layton’s sports park, opens.
2003: The first sections of the Kays Creek Trail are opened.
2003: Weber State University Davis Campus opens in Layton.
2004: The Davis Conference Center opens.
2008: Train whistles stop in Layton, excluding emergencies, with new crossing signals in place.
2010: The U.S. Census lists Layton’s population at 67,311.
2010: Layton South Interchange opens.
2010: Layton becomes a second class city.
2011: 3.1 miles of the D&RGW trail completed in Layton, creating a trail system that traverses all of Davis County, north to south.
2012: Layton Parkway completed.
2012: The Andy Adams Community Fishery begins.
2013: Smart 911 program implemented.
2013: Weber State University expands.
2013: Public Safety Fire Training Facility opens.
2013: Heritage Park phase one completed.
2013: Ellison Park Splash Pad opens.
2013: Oakridge two-million gallon water tank completed.
2013: Layton “Lightspeed” Wi Fi is available in City parks.
2014: Antelope Drive is finally extended east to U.S. 89.