Layton City PolicyBack To Title List | Chapter List | Section List
4114 - Cell Phone Safety
Cell Phone Safety Policy
Using a cell phone while driving is prohibited except as provided in “exceptions” below:
While operating a moving motor vehicle, employees may not talk on a cell phone without a hands free device; or to manually:
· Write, send or read a written communication, including:
o A text message;
o An instant message; or
o Electronic mail.
· Dial a phone number;
· Answer or otherwise manipulate any function;
· Access the internet;
· View or record video; or
· Enter data into a cell phone.
Exceptions: The above paragraph does not prohibit an employee from using a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle:
· To view a global positioning or navigation device or a global positioning or navigation application;
· During a medical emergency;
· When reporting a safety hazard or requesting assistance relating to a safety hazard;
· When reporting criminal activity or requesting assistance relating to criminal activity;
· When used by law enforcement or emergency service personnel acting within the course and scope of the law enforcement or emergency service personnel’s employment; or
· To operate:
o Hands-free or voice operated technology; or
o A system that is physically or electronically integrated into the motor vehicle.
If a cell phone is found to contribute to a preventable accident involving a City employee while operating a vehicle during work hours, disciplinary action may be taken, up to and including termination.