John Hyrum Green
John Hyrum Green was born March 15, 1801 in Worcester, Worchestershire, England the son of William and Mary Steed Green. In 1825, he married Susannah Burrup, who was born November 22, 1816 in England.1 After giving birth to a son, Thomas, Susannah died. John later married Susannah Phillips the daughter of William and Mary Ann Presdee Phillips—a sister of Edward Phillips.2 John and his wife were converted to the LDS Church along with other members of the Phillips and Green families. He was active, along with his brother-in-law Edward Phillips, in the activities of the LDS Church in his native land.
John and his wife Susannah were passengers on the sailing ship Caroline, which also brought Mary Ann Presdee and Edward Phillips to America. He traveled with his family through Canada to Chicago and then to Nauvoo, Illinois. In Nauvoo he passed through the trials and experiences of the Latter-day Saints, as they were distressed following the death of the Prophet Joseph Smith. During the exodus from Nauvoo, John lost his property in a fire and was never compensated.
John and his family traveled across Iowa Territory to Kanesville. There they rested for a brief time before joining a wagon train for the trip west. John and Susannah were members of the George A. Smith/Dan Jones Company.3 This company left Iowa Territory from an outfitting post in Kanesville in the spring of 1849 in company with between three hundred seventy and hour hundred forty-seven Saints traveling in one hundred and twenty wagons. The company arrived in the valley of the Great Salt Lake October 26-30, 1849.4
John and Susannah wintered in Big Cottonwood and then in the spring of 1850 they moved to the site along Sandy Creek that John and his brother-in-law Edward Phillips had explored the previous fall. On January 27, 1851 John was called to be the second counselor to William Kay in Kays Ward.5 He served in this position until 1856.
In 1857, John built a stagecoach station in what is now the City of Layton, Utah.6 This station was located along the main wagon road between Salt Lake City and Ogden, Utah and John furnished prairie hay for the stagecoach teams at $40 per ton. In 1866, he built a fine brick home across the street from the stage station. According to one biographer:
“His family furnished refreshments and rest for stagecoach passengers when they stopped overnight. Until just a few years ago, this home was still standing and occupied.”7
John Hyrum Green was the husband of five wives and the father of sixteen children. He was a productive citizen of Kaysville and served his neighbors in many capacities. John died on April 16, 1886 in Kaysville. He was buried a few days later in the Kaysville City Cemetery.8
1LDS Church, Family History Library, Ancestral File, Family Group Sheet—John Hyrum Green.
5Bancroft, Hubert, History of Utah, p. 315.
6Kaysville/Layton Historical Society, Layton, Utah, p. 44.
7Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, manuscript, History of John Hyrum Green.
8Kaysville City Cemetery Records.