Home • News
View Archived News Articles

Part two: More of Layton’s historic and colorful street names

Article Published 10/30/2013
Here's more about some of Layton’s most intriguing of street titles, from among its approximately 270 miles of roads and from its inventory of more than 360 different highway names:
-Cross Street was so titled in 1903 because it was a shortcut to the Layton Canning Company from Main Street. This company had recently merged with the Woods Cross Canning Company when the name took hold.
-Rosewood Lane was originally called Fiddlers Creek Lane. It was named after some musicians who lived on the street. Later, some confusion led to the Rosewood designation. Some subdivision developers have revived the Fiddlers Creek name in recent years. 
-Here are some other unusual street titles in Layton City:  Aircraft Avenue; Artists Way; Camelot Drive; Chapel Street; Constitution Way; Hunter’s Glenn; Jack D Drive; Icabod Lane; Merlin Drive; Morning Star; Poets Rest; Snoqualmie Drive and Vird Ann Street.
-Also, of note: Gordon Avenue has been a confusing road ever since the mid-1960s, when I-15 disconnected the through road and created an eastern section and a western section. Since then, they do not connect except through traveling a section of Hill Field Road and then Main Street. A proposal in the late 1990s would have renamed the western section of Gordon Avenue, from Main Street, west to the Syracuse border, “Allen Avenue,” to honor a long-time family who lived along the road. However, that proposal was soon dropped by a consensus of the City Council.
Layton also had some short-lived street names that did not survive into modern times.
For example:
- “Pioneer Road” was what a portion of today's Sunset Drive was named. This route traveled though Dawson Hollow and was of the city's main link to reach Mountain Road, Highway 89. (The city does have an unrelated Pioneer Drive road today.)
- "Call Street": The south end of today's 2200 West, south of Gentile Street. It was named after a family who resides in the area.
- "Hill Street": The north end of 2200 West, north of Gentile Street, and named for the Hill family.
- Bone Street: A short segment of today's 3200 West that went south from Gentile Street and ran parallel to Call Street. This road was originally named after the Bone family.
- “Canyon Road” was the original title of Church Street. This was a road that went north over a sandridge hill and dropped down into South Weber in pre-Hill Air Force Base days (before 1940). It was a major route to Weber Canyon. (Layton City does have unrelated Canyon View Drive and Canyon Rim Drive streets today.)
SOURCES: “Layton” history book (1985), by the Kaysville-Layton Historical Society; Deseret News Archives; Harris Adams, Layton historian.