Home • News
View Archived News Articles

Part Two: Q&A on Layton City Roads

Article Published 07/28/2014

Roads are vital components of Layton City’s infrastructure. They are taken for granted, but residents rely on them every day and in every season.
Keeping roadsides clean and open is a responsibility of every Layton property owner.
Here is part two of a question and answer section on city roadways:
Q: Can semi trucks legally park on Layton City streets?
A: No, only moving trucks or construction vehicles (in use) can be parked there. Note that on State roads inside Layton, such as Main Street, UDOT does allow semi truck parking.
It is prohibited to park a truck or trailer registered for 13,000 pounds gross weight or more in residential areas. It is also prohibited to park an unladen tractor truck in a residential area. These vehicles are restricted to specific roads unless they are crossing a street, servicing or refueling. The following is a list of approved roads for these vehicles:
•  US Highway 89
•  West Hill Field between 1200 West and Main Street
•  Interstate 15
•  Antelope Drive West of University Park Blvd(1200 West)
•  Highway 193
•  McCormick Way
•  Oak Hills Drive
•  Hill Field Road
•  Main Street
•  Railroad right of way
•  Marshall Way
•  Oak Hill Drive
Q: Why must vehicles be parked on the street in the same direction of traffic (right side only)?
A: That is universally considered the safest direction to park a vehicle, so it enters traffic in the same direction.
Q: How near/far from the curb should vehicles be parked?
A: 12 inches or less is the law.
Q: What about potholes?
A: Layton City crews try to find and fix potholes quickly. As always, the City invites the public's help in making us aware of potholes since they can develop very quickly.
However, if you spot any particularly hazardous potholes, that could damage vehicles or cause accidents, notify police dispatch at 801-497-8300, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. (Do NOT ever call 911 for pothole problems.)
If the pothole is smaller and more of a nuisance than a hazard, contact Layton City Public Works Department at 801-336-3720 during business hours. If the problem is along a State Road, such as Main Street, contact the Utah Department of Transportation at: 801-620-1600, weekdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Q: What is an owner’s responsibility for trees and bushes that front the street?
A: Trees and bushes must be cut and maintained 13’6” above the street.
Q: How close to a stop sign, or a yield sign can you legally park?
A: Utah State Law states no vehicle should be parked less than 30 feet from a stop sign, yield sign, or traffic signal. In addition, it is illegal to park within 15 feet of a fire hydrant, or within 20 feet of a crosswalk. 
Q: If there are no speed limit signs along my street, or another city street, what then is the speed limit?
A:  No vehicle shall be driven at a greater speed than 25 miles per hour upon any street or highway within the City that does not have a greater speed limit posted.
Q: How fast can bicycles legally travel along city streets?
A: Bicylists should not ever exceed posted speed limits, though without a speedometer, a rider might have trouble determining their speed. For example, a bicycle traveling 35 mph in a 25 mph zone would be a danger to themselves and others. Bicyclists should also obey all road laws (stop signs, etc.) as would the driver of a motorized vehicle.