Home • News
View Archived News Articles

Preventing CO poisoning

Article Published 12/19/2016
Carbon monoxide (CO) can come from many sources such as wood, propane, natural gas, charcoal, gasoline, and anything else that burns. High concentrations of CO can be toxic, but you can avoid CO poisoning with simple preventive measures and common sense: 
• Have your heating systems serviced by a qualified technician every year. (This helps ensure that your system is operating safely and that combustion byproducts vent to the outside.)
 • Install a battery-operated, Underwriters Laboratory-approved CO monitor on each level of your home. Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Installing a CO monitor should never be a substitute for a professional inspection of home-heating and cooking equipment. Owners of boats and recreational vehicles with propane stoves or heaters should also install CO monitors.
 • Do not use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline- or oil-burning device anywhere inside your home including your basement and garage, or outside near an open window.
 • Do not run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
 • Do not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented.
 • Do not heat your house with a gas oven. 
-If you are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated and suspect CO poisoning, seek prompt medical attention by dialing 911 or calling your poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.