As used in this Chapter:
(1) "Agricultural burning" means open burning, in rural areas, essential to agricultural operations, including the growing of crops, the raising of fowl, animals, or bees, when conducted on the premises where produced.
(2) "Air contaminant" means any particulate matter or any gas, vapor, suspended solid, or any combination thereof, excluding steam and water vapors.
(3) "Air pollution" means the presence in the ambient air of one or more air contaminants in quantities or characteristics and under conditions and circumstances, and of a duration sufficient to cause or contribute to injury to human, plant, or animal life or health or to property or which unreasonably interfere with the enjoyment of life or use of property, as determined by the standards, rules, and regulations adopted by the committee.
(4) "Ambient air" means the surrounding or outside air.
(5) "Clearing index" means a number indicating the predicted rate of clearance of ground level pollutants from a given area. This number is calculated by the U.S. Weather Bureau, from daily measurements of temperature lapse rates and wind speeds and directions from ground level to ten thousand feet.
(6) "Committee" means Utah Air Conservation Committee.
(7) "Division" means Utah State Division of Health.
(8) "Garbage" means all putrescible animal and vegetable matter resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food, including wastes attendant thereto.
(9) "Heavy fuel oil" means a petroleum product or similar material heavier than diesel fuel.
(10) "Open burning" means any burning of combustible materials resulting in emission of products of combustion into open air without passage through a chimney or stack.
(11) "Person" means any individual, public or private corporation, partnership, association, firm, trust, estate, the state or any department, institution, bureau, or agency thereof, any municipal corporation, county, city and county, or other political subdivision of the state, or any other legal entity whatsoever which is recognized by the law as being subject to rights and duties.
(12) "Refuse" means any solid waste, including garbage and trash.
(13) "Salvage operation" means any business, trade< or industry engaged in whole or part in salvaging or reclaiming any product or material, including, but not limited to, metals, chemicals, shipping containers, or drums.
(14) "Trash" means solids not considered to be highly flammable or explosive, including, but not limited to, clothing, rags, leather, plastic, rubber, floor coverings, excelsior, tree leaves, yard trimmings and other similar materials.
(15) "Waste" means all solid, liquid, or gaseous material, including, but not limited to, garbage, trash, household waste, construction or demolition debris or other refuse, including that resulting from the prosecution of any business, trade or industry.
Ord. No.97-35, Recodified, 6/19/1997
Ord. No. 98-60, Amended, 12/3/1998