(1) In order to provide for just and fair treatment in the administration of the Layton City zoning ordinances, and to ensure that substantial justice is done, the City shall appoint a Board of Adjustment to exercise the powers and duties provided in this Chapter.
(2) (a) The Board of Adjustment shall consist of five (5) members and whatever alternate members that the chief executive officer considers appropriate.
(b) The chief executive officer shall appoint the members and alternate members with the advice and consent of the legislative body for a term of five (5) years.
(c) The chief executive officer shall appoint members of the Board of Adjustment to terms so that the term of one (1) member expires each year.
(d) No member of the Board shall be allowed to serve for more than two (2) consecutive terms.
(3) (a) No more than two (2) alternate members may sit at any meeting of the Board of Adjustment at one time.
(b) The City Council shall make rules establishing a procedure for alternate members to serve in the absence of members of the Board of Adjustment.
(4) (a) The chief executive officer may remove any member of the Board of Adjustment for cause if written charges are filed against the member with the chief executive officer.
(b) The chief executive officer shall provide the member with a public hearing if the member requests one.
(5) (a) The chief executive officer with the advice and consent of the City Council shall fill any vacancy.
(b) The person appointed shall serve for the unexpired term of the member or alternate member whose office is vacant.
Ord. No.97-35, Recodified, 6/19/1997
Ord. No. 97-19, Enacted, 4/17/1997
Ord. No. 04-69, Recodified, 12/16/2004