(1) The uses listed in Tables 6-1 & 6-2, as permitted by right and conditional uses in the various zoning districts are principal uses except when noted as being accessory.
(2) Except as otherwise provided, an accessory use, building, or structure is permitted to accompany the principal use to which it is subordinate, where such principal use is either permitted by right or authorized by a conditional use permit.
(3) Building permits shall be required for accessory buildings of one hundred twenty (120) square feet roof area or more. Certificates of occupancy may not be issued to accessory buildings except as a part of the certificate of occupancy for the principal use.
(4) A structure or use may be erected or established as an accessory structure or use to a permitted principal structure or use, provided that it is:
(a) Clearly incidental and customary to, and commonly associated with the operation of the principal use;
(b) Operated and maintained under the same ownership or by lessors or concessionaires thereof and on the same lot as the principal use;
(c) Does not include structures or structural features inconsistent with the use by right;
(d) Compatible in character and extent with the principal use and zoning district where located;
(e) Not erected or established prior to the establishment or construction of the principal use or building; and
(f) Is not prohibited by other Layton City Code provisions.
(5) Location of attached accessory structures. Any portion of a main building or appendage thereof or any such building constructed as an architectural and integral part thereof which is designed, constructed, or used for accessory use purposes shall be located as required for any other part of the main building.
(6) Maximum coverage for accessory structures and uses. In residential zoning districts, no accessory building, structure, or group of such buildings or structures, shall cover more than twenty-five percent (25%) of the minimum rear yard space. Parking spaces and any impervious surface areas shall be included as coverage when determining the twenty-five percent (25%) of the minimum rear yard space. In commercial and manufacturing zoning districts, the main building and all accessory buildings or uses in aggregate shall not exceed the lot coverage requirements outlined in table 5-2
(7) Location of detached accessory structures and buildings. In residential zoning districts, all accessory buildings or structures shall be located in either the rear or side yards, unless incorporated into the principal use building or structure as an architectural and integral part thereof. In commercial and manufacturing zoning districts, accessory buildings may be located as outlined in Table 5-2
. Specific setback regulations for all zoning districts are found in Table 5-1 and 5-2
To view Table 5-1 and 5-2 click on the link below:
Ord. No.97-35, Recodified, 6/19/1997
Ord. No. 97-19, Enacted, 4/17/1997
Ord. No. 04-69, Recodified, 12/16/2004