Pursuant to the authority outlined in Section 10-3-830, Utah Code (as amended), the powers, duties, and obligations of the City Manager are as follows:
(1) The administrative powers, authority, and duties are vested in the City Manager.
(2) The City Manager shall be the chief administrative officer of the City to whom all employees of the City report. The City Manager shall be responsible to the City Council for the administration of all City affairs placed in the City Manager's charge.
(3) The City Manager shall appoint and, when deemed necessary, suspend or remove all City employees and appointive administrative officers, except the department heads shall be appointed or removed by the City Manager with the advice and consent of the Mayor and City Council. The City Manager may authorize any administrative officer who is subject to the City Manager's direction and supervision to exercise these powers with respect to subordinates in that officer's department, office, or agency.
(4) The City Manager shall direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the City, except as otherwise provided by law.
(5) Except for the purpose of inquiry, the City Council and its members shall deal with the administrative service solely through the City Manager and neither the City Council nor any member thereof or the Mayor shall give orders to any subordinates of the City Manager, either publicly or privately.
(6) The City Manager shall attend meetings of the City Council with the right to take part in the discussion but not to vote; to recommend to the City Council for adoption of such measures, as the City Manager may deem necessary or expedient.
(7) The City Manager shall prepare and submit the annual budget and capital improvements program to the City Council; and keep the City Council advised as to the financial condition and needs of the City.
(8) The City Manager shall notify the Mayor and City Council of any emergency existing in any department under the City Manager's supervision.
(9) The City Manager shall perform such other duties as may be required by the Layton Municipal Code or by the City Council through ordinance or resolution.
(10) In the City Manager's temporary absence, the Assistant City Manager shall exercise the powers and perform the duties of the City Manager.
(11) The City Manager shall carry out the policies and programs established by the City Council.
(12) The City Manager is authorized to execute routine service agreements contemplated in the daily operation of the City and included in the City's budget.
(13) The City Manager shall examine and inspect the books, records, and official papers of any office, department, agency, board, or commission of the City and make investigations and require reports from all personnel.
(14) The City Manager shall faithfully execute and enforce all applicable laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations, and see that all franchises, leases, permits, contracts, licenses, and privileges granted by the municipality are observed.
Ord. No.97-35, Recodified, 6/19/1997
Ord. No. 04-52, Amended, 7/1/2004
Ord. No. 09-16, Amended, 8/20/2009