For purposes of this Chapter the following terms, phrases, words, and their derivations shall have the meanings given herein.
(1) "Business" means all kinds of vocations, occupations, professions, enterprises, establishments, services provided, and all other kinds of commercial activities and matters, including the keeping of a machine, which are conducted for private profit or benefit, either directly or indirectly, on any premises in the City or anywhere else within its jurisdiction.
(2) "Machine" means any coin-operated device except those from which the income goes to any charitable or civic organization.
(3) "City" means the city of Layton.
(4) "City Council" means the Layton City Council.
(5) "License officer" means the official representative or agent of Layton authorized to administer this Chapter, as designated by the City Manager.
(6) "License" means the authority to conduct a business in accordance with this Chapter, including connotations of the word "permit" and including the special privilege granted anyone for any purpose or length of time pursuant to this Chapter; also, the printed evidence of such authority.
(7) "Premises" means any land, structure, place, item of equipment, or appurtenance connected or used therewith in any business, and also, any personal property which is either affixed to or is otherwise used in connection with the operation of any business.
(8) "Person" means any natural person, partnership, joint adventure, society, association, club, trustee, trust, or corporation, or any officer, agent, employee, factor, or other personal representative of any thereof, in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other natural person under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
(9) "Nonprofit enterprise" means any organized undertaking, project, occupation, or activity, whether permanent or temporary, which is operated without private profit and for a public charitable, educational, fraternal, religious, or other philanthropic purpose.
Ord. No.97-35, Recodified, 6/19/1997
Ord. No. 97-18, Amended, 4/17/1997
Ord. No. 08-44, Amended, 9/18/2008