(1) Curfew for minors under eighteen (18). Except as provided in Subsection (3) below, it shall be unlawful for any person under the age of eighteen (18) years to be in or upon any sidewalk, street, alley, or public place between the hours of midnight and 5:00 a.m. on any day.
(2) Parents and guardians. It shall be unlawful for any parent, guardian, or other person having legal care and custody of any minor, to allow or permit or suffer any such minor to go or be in or upon any of the sidewalks, streets, alleys, or public places in Layton City within the times provided in the above-mentioned Section.
(3) Exceptions. The provisions of Section (1) shall not apply when any person regulated therein is:
(a) Accompanied by an adult having the care and custody of such person;
(b) Attending or directly returning home from a function of any school or church;
(c) Attending or directly returning home from a lawful entertainment, amusement, or commercial activity;
(d) On an emergency errand or specific business or activity directed by the parent, guardian, or other adult having custody or care of him/her; or
(e) Engaged in legitimate employment which requires his/her presence at the public places during the prohibited hours.
(4) Minors on business premises. No person owning or operating a business shall permit to be or to remain on the premises where said business is conducted any minor person under the age of eighteen (18) years, between midnight and 5:00 a.m., unless in the immediate presence of the parent or other adult person having legal care and custody of said minor. This Section, however, shall not apply to any minor who is lawfully employed on the premises.
(5) Aiding minor to violate curfew. It is unlawful for any person to assist, aid, abet, or encourage any minor to violate the provisions of this Section. It is unlawful for any person to use any influence or otherwise to entice or persuade any minor, under the age of eighteen (18) years, from his/her parents, guardians, or other persons having charge or custody of such minor without the consent of such parents, guardians, or custodians.
(6) Penalty. A violation of this ordinance shall be a class B misdemeanor.
Ord. No.97-35, Recodified, 6/19/1997
Ord. No. 962, Amended, 8/6/1992
Ord. No. 13-21, Amended, 6/20/2013