Back To Title List | Chapter List | Section List
3102 - Employment Classifications
All employees shall be classified as one of the following:
- Regular employees. These are Council approved positions as follows:
- Full-time Employee - An employee in a Council-authorized position who works 40-hours per week on a continual basis, and who has successfully completed his/her probationary period.
- Part-time Employee - Same as full-time employee, but works less than 40 hours per week and usually more than 15 hours a week. Part-time employees shall work less than an average of 30 hours per week calculated on an annual basis unless approved in writing by the City Manager.
Part-time employees who work an average of 30 or more hours per week calculated on an annual basis are eligible for benefits normally provided by the City, which include retirement, insurance and accrual of vacation and sick leave at a rate proportionate to the hours worked unless otherwise required by law.
- Probationary Employee - A full or part-time employee hired to fill a Council-authorized position on a probationary basis. Probationary employees receive benefits for which they are eligible. Probationary employees are at-will and may be terminated at any time with or without notice or cause.
- Appointed Employees - Council approved positions of Assistant City Manager, City Attorney, Finance Director, Police Chief, Fire Chief, Public Works Director, Community Development Director, and Parks and Recreation Director. These policies and procedures shall apply to Appointed employees with the following exceptions:
- Hiring Practices. Employees in this category are appointed by the City Manager and serve at his/her pleasure.
- Termination of Employment. Appointed employees are at-will employees and may be terminated at any time with or without notice or cause.
- Paid On-Call Firefighter - A Council approved position. An employee hired to work as needed at an hourly wage. A paid-on-call firefighter (1) shall work less than an average of 30 hours per week calculated on an annual basis; (2) shall be an at-will employee and may be terminated at any time with or without notice or cause; and (3) is not eligible for benefits.
- City Manager - These policies and procedures shall not apply to the City Manager. The City Manager's status, compensation and benefits shall be determined as provided in State law and as negotiated between the City Manager and the City Council.
- Elected Officials - Commissioners, Board Members and Committee Members - Members of the City Council, Planning Commission Members, Board of Adjustment Members, and all other appointed Commission, Board or Committee Members. These policies and procedures shall not apply to these officials. Their status, compensation, if any, etc. shall be governed by the statutes, ordinances, resolutions or executive orders which create and govern the position.
- Temporary Employees. These positions shall be approved administratively:
- Seasonal Employee - All employees hired on a temporary, seasonal, provisional or emergency basis. Seasonal employees are not eligible for benefits unless required by law. Seasonal employees are at-will employees and may be terminated at any time with or without notice or cause. Seasonal employees may be employed up to 40 hours per week for up to but not including 9 months (such that the average of hours worked is less than 30 hours per week calculated on an annual basis). Any exceptions must be approved in writing by the City Manager. A seasonal employee may be re-hired as a seasonal employee after at least a three month break.
- Limited Part-Time Employee - Employees who usually work an average of 15 hours or less per week calculated on an annual basis. Limited part-time employees are not eligible for benefits unless required by law. Limited part-time employees are at-will employees and may be terminated at any time with or without notice or cause. Some recreation specialists and lifeguards are examples of employees who may fit into this category.
- Government Employment Programs - An employee hired under a governmental employment program, depending on the need and the position. May either be probationary part-time or temporary. It is noted, however, that all positions funded by grant funds are automatically abolished when those funds terminate.
Amended, 12/9/1993, Previous Policy,
Amended, 2/12/1996, Previous Policy,
Amended, 3/28/2001, Previous Policy,
Minor EditAmended, 11/30/2012, Previous Policy 3102