Home • News
View Archived News Articles

Holiday safety tips from the Layton City Fire Department

Article Published 11/26/2014

The Layton City Fire Department wants to remind residents to pay special attention to potential fire hazards that exist during the holidays when your house becomes even busier with family and friends.
Properly maintaining working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms, as well as being aware of possible holiday fire problems, are
important steps towards protecting your home and keeping family and friends safe.
"Special fire safety precautions should be taken when you have a live tree in your home," warns Layton City Fire Marshal, Dean Hunt. "A fire in your home, especially this time of year is the last thing that we want to see and a burning tree can fill a room with fire and deadly gases very
The Layton City Fire Department recommends the following safety tips this holiday season:
• Do not put your live tree up too early, or leave it up for longer than two weeks.
• Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily
ignited by heat, flame or sparks.
• Inspect holiday lights each year for frayed wires, bare spots, and gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets, and excessive kinking or
wear before putting them up.
• Keep open flames away from your tree — candles, lighters, matches, and lit cigarettes.
• Working smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home, especially near sleeping areas. Remember to also test smoke alarms monthly, and keep them clean and equipped with fresh batteries at all times.