Layton City is governed by a six member council form of government. The Layton City Council is composed of five members and a mayor. All members are elected by the residents of the City during a municipal election held every two years. Each seat consists of a four-year term. Council member terms are staggered. Two members and a mayor are elected at one time, and two years later the other three members are elected. The Mayor and Council are responsible for setting city policy and the City Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations.
- Form of Government - Six Member Council
- Incorporated - May 24, 1920
- Population - 85,136
- Square Miles - 22.61
- Miles of City Streets - 338.05
- Total Property Tax Rate - 0.9880% (2022)
- City Property Tax Rate - 0.1263% (2022)
- Total Assessed Value - $7,529,211,343 (2022)
- Total G.F. Budget - $51,458,606 (2022-2023)
- Total Full-Time Employees - 352
Provide services and opportunities, in partnership with the community, which enhance the quality of life.
Trust, Communication, Respect, Recognition
Service Quality, Efficient, Friendly, Timely
Integrity Truthfulness, Character, Fairness, Openness
Commitment Initiative, Dedication, Involvement, Perseverance
Excellence Competence, Desire, Innovation, Progressive
Performance Planning, Decisions, Follow-Through, Professionalism
- Directness, integrity and honesty in all of our actions.
- Good and competent employees who are loyal to our values and dedicated to using them to improve results.
- An open, two-way communications network that welcomes opinions and ideas.
- Respect for citizens, and their opinions, regardless of whether we think they are right or wrong.
- Recognition for significant contributions and ongoing competent performance.
- Employees who are willing to accept responsibility and expect to be held accountable for their actions.
- Innovation and change which produce positive results.
- Staff work that is timely and thorough.
- Mistakes are to be learned from rather than feared.
- Safety awareness that eliminates workplace hazards and minimizes community dangers.
- A professional environment free of harassment or intimidation of any kind.
- A friendly approach, a smile and a helpful attitude.