Home • News
View Archived News Articles
View Archived News Articles
Part 1: Layton City Fire Department History 1928-1999
Article Published 09/28/2015
The history of a fire department in Layton City dates back to 1928.
A meeting was held on November 28 that year to form the first fire department in Layton. There were eight men in attendance. These men became the first members of the department, to be housed at 85 West Gentile Street in 1929.
In 1928, the Layton Town Board also authorized the purchase of Layton’s first fire engine.
Another milestone was in 1942, when the Federal Government provided Layton City with a new fire truck in exchange for fire protection for the Verdeland Park area. This was a large area of government housing, located where Commons Park and Layton High are today.
From its beginnings until 1943, Layton’s Fire Department also handled all fires in the north end of Davis County, until Clearfield City organized its own fire department.
In 1953, a renovation was made of the old City Hall, 37 East Gentile, to accommodate the Fire Department there.
In 1960, a new 1,000-gallon-per-minute fire pumper was added to the Fire Department. A new 1,250-gallon-per-minute pumper was put into service in 1970 as one of the first diesel-powered fire engines in Utah.
By 1967, the Fire Department consisted of 23 regular volunteers and 10 reserve volunteers creating a total of 33 firefighters in the Department.
A new fire station was built at 199 North Fort Lane in 1972. This station currently remains in operation.
When Layton Hills Mall was built in 1979, the decision was made to purchase a combination aerial ladder truck and pumper for fire protection.
All Fire Department personnel were volunteer firefighters until January 1, 1975, when John H. Adams was appointed as the first full-time member of the Layton Fire Department. By July of 1981, six full-time firefighters were hired to man the station 24 hours per day seven days a week -- two men per shift. A full-time secretary position was created July 10, 1985.
On Oct. 1, 1992, Layton’s second fire station opened on the City’s east side, at 2701 North Church Street. At that time six additional full-time firefighters were hired to man the fire station with two men per shift, 24 hours per day.
The paid-on-call firefighter staff was expanded in 1992 to 27 firefighters. All members of the department were then certified EMTs. They also had certification as Firefighter I, Hazardous Materials Awareness, and Operations.
In February of 1992, a part-time fire inspector was hired to assist the Fire Marshal. This part-time inspector position became full-time in July, 1999.
In October of 1993 Layton City received approval from the Utah State Bureau of Emergency Medical Services to license an ambulance service for Layton City. Two licensed ambulances with automatic defibrillators were purchased and placed in service May 3, 1994, one in each fire station. During the first year of operation the ambulance service responded to over 1,300 calls for service. Two additional ambulances were added to the ambulance fleet in 1997.
In the fall of 1997, construction was started on a third fire station located at 530 North 2200 West to serve the west side of Layton City. This station became the new headquarters station with approximately 12,000 square feet of finished space. Nine full-time firefighters were added to the roster at this time along with six paid-on-call firefighters in order to allow for manning of all three stations 24 hours a day. The Station was staffed and began serving the public in July of 1998.
-Continued in part two …