Layton City   search site  
Home Do Business Live & Work Play Departments Services & Payments Contact Us Follow Layton City Twitter Like Us on Facebook
  Skip Navigation Links Home Departments Police Department FAQs
Content Image   Police Department


Code Enforcement
Police Records


Q.Do I need to cover my trash on the way to the landfill?
A.Yes. All loads need to be covered on the way to the landfill.

Code Enforcement

Q.What kind of surfaces am I allowed to park on?
A.A hard surface is required for all vehicles and/or recreational vehicles.  This may be cement, asphalt, gravel or compacted road base.

Q.Am I responsible for landscaping and maintaining the park strip area at my house?
  1. 19.16.070- The park strip between any public street and private property shall be landscaped with grass and plantings.  Maintenance of this area shall be the responsibility of the abutting property owner.

Q.My neighbor has not shoveled the snow on his sidewalk for the past two days. Can anything be done about this?
  1. 12.04.060- All accumulations of snow, sleet, or precipitation impairing safe access and use of sidewalks shall be removed within twelve hours from the termination of the storm.
  2. 12.04.060- It shall be unlawful to deposit snow or other material in a street maintained and plowed for purposes of snow removal by the city.  The term “or other material” can include dirt, gravel, or miscellaneous debris.

Q.How quickly do I have to shovel after the end of a snow storm?
A.All precipitation must be removed from sidewalks within twelve (12) hours of a storm. You may not shovel the snow into the street.

Q.My neighbor has several vehicles in their driveway and some of them partially block the sidewalk. Is this legal?
  1. 10.62.030(1) and 10.62.030(2) – It is prohibited to park a vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct any portion of the sidewalk or parking strip.

Q.There is a business next to my home that has started to store junk and trash around their building. Can anything be done about this?
  1. 19.06.110- No yard or other open space around an existing building shall be used for the storage of junk, trash, building materials, debris, inoperable vehicles or commercial equipment, and fuel.

Q.I have a vehicle on my property that has not been registered for a year, but I am restoring the vehicle. Is there a city ordinance that deals with this issue?
  1. 6.24.170- Old and obsolete vehicles, parts of automobiles, automobiles with parts taken out of them and not in running condition, or automobiles with expired registration of more than four months are prohibited.  A restoration permit may be obtained from Community Development for a $10.00 charge.  There are stipulations for obtaining the permit.  Contact the Community Development Department for additional information.

Q.My neighbor is a truck driver and they often have their truck parked in our neighborhood. Sometimes it is just the truck, but other times it has a trailer attached. Is this legal?
  1. 10.88.020- It is prohibited to park a truck or trailer registered for 13, 000 pounds gross weight or  more in residential areas. It is also prohibited to park an unladen tractor truck in a residential area. These vehicles are restricted to specific roads unless they are crossing a street, servicing or refueling. The following is a list of approved roads for these vehicles:
  • US Highway 89
  • West Hill Field between 1200 West and Main Street
  • Interstate 15
  • Antelope Drive West of University Park Blvd(1200 West)
  • Highway 193
  • McCormick Way
  • Oak Hills Drive
  • Hill Field Road
  • Main Street
  • Railroad right of way
  • Marshall Way

Q.Am I responsible to have my landscaping done? I recently built a home in Layton. How quickly am I required to have my landscaping done?
A.19.13.050-  Front yard landscaping shall be installed within eighteen (18) months after the issuance of the certificate of occupancy.

Q.I own a business and someone has left a vehicle on my property for two weeks. Is this legal?
  1. 41-6a-1408 - A vehicle parked on a highway for 48 hours or longer; or a vehicle left on public or private property in excess of 7 days without the consent of the owner will be considered abandoned and may be towed.

Q.I have been parking one of my vehicles on our front lawn. Is this legal?
  1. 19.12.100- This code essentially says that if any part of a property is being used to park vehicles, it must be properly graded for drainage, surfaced with concrete, asphalt, road base, or gravel and maintained in good condition, free of vegetation, dust, trash, and debris.
  2. - This code states to park any vehicle, trailer, boat, or similar apparatus upon any developed parcel the area designed for parking must be concrete, asphalt, or similar solid surface and be of size to house the entire vehicle.
  3. 19.12.030 – No portion of a front yard, other than approved driveways, can be used for parking vehicles.
  4. By state law, “vehicles” includes, but is not limited to, a motor vehicle, trailer, semi trailer, off highway vehicle, manufactured or mobile home.
    1. “Off highway vehicle” includes, but is not limited to, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, and personal watercraft.

Q.How clean do I need to keep my yard?
A.All yards need to be maintained and clear of junk, trash and debris. This includes any vehicle that is not current on its registration.

Q.Can I park on the sidewalk?
A.No.  Parking on sidewalks is not allowed.

Q.How many dogs and/or cats am I allowed to have?
A.You may have a maximum of two dogs, two cats, or one of each in your household.

Q.Can my neighbor park in front of my mailbox?
  1. It is illegal to park any vehicle in any location that interferes with the delivery and monitoring of essential services such as utilities, postal services and refuse collection.

Q.Is it legal for me to park my vehicle on the street or in a commercial parking lot for the purpose of displaying it for sale?
  1. 10.62.030 (3a) – It is prohibited to park a vehicle on any street or publicly owned or controlled property or right-of-way for the principle purpose of displaying the vehicle for sale.
    *This ordinance has been repealed and is being revised.
  2. 19.06.010 – It is prohibited to park any vehicle on commercial property not properly licensed for vehicle sales for the principle purpose of displaying the vehicle for sale.
    1. No property owner can give permission to violate any Layton City ordinance.

Q.What are the laws regarding parking my car, trailer, boat, or recreation vehicle on the street?
A.Layton City has several ordinances that apply to this scenario.
  1. 10.62.030(4) and 10.68.010(2) - It is prohibited to park any vehicle that cannot be lawfully operated upon public streets upon any street, public right-of-way or publicly owned or controlled property.
    1. In addition to all required equipment, lawfully operated would also mean current registration and insurance.
  2. 10.68.010 – It is prohibited to leave a vehicle parked in the same place on any street or alley continuously for more than 72 hours.
  3. 10.62.030(5) – It is prohibited to park any recreational vehicle, trailer, boat, or similar apparatus on any public street, except for immediate loading or unloading, and never longer than 24 consecutive hours.
  4. 10.62.030(8) – It is prohibited to park any vehicle in a location that interferes with the delivery and monitoring of essential services, such as utilities, postal services and refuse collection.
  5. 10.62.010 – It is prohibited to park any vehicle on any street between 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.  from December to February, or any other time when removal of snow is apparent or imminent.

Police Records

Q.Can I get a copy of a police report?
A.In order to comply with Utah State Law, requests for police reports are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Requests should be made in person at the Records Division, Monday - Friday, 8AM to 5PM, excluding holidays. Photo ID is required. Requests via mail will only be considered if the signature on the request is notarized. In order to process the request, you will be asked to provide the following information: Case number (if known), address of occurrence, date of occurrence, parties involved and type of report. There is a $5.00 fee for up to 10 pages and $0.25 for each additional page. Most requests can be processed within 10 days of receipt.

Q.Can I get a copy of a traffic accident report?
A.In accordance with Utah State Law, accident reports can be released to:
  1. A person involved in the accident, excluding witnesses;
  2. A person suffering loss or injury in the accident;
  3. A parent or legal guardian of a minor involved in the accident;
  4. An agent of a person involved in the accident (attorney, insurer or other entity, or an individual with written permission);
  5. A state, local or federal agency that uses the records for official governmental investigative or accident prevention purposes;
  6. Law enforcement personnel when acting in their official capacities;
  7. Licensed private investigators when acting in their official capacities.

You can make your request at the Records Division Monday - Friday, 8AM to 5PM, excluding holidays. Photo ID is required. There is a $5.00 charge for up to 10 pages and $0.25 for each additional page. If photos were taken, copies are $10.00 for up to 10 photos and $2.00 per additional photo. Please allow a minimum of 5 days from the date of the accident before requesting a copy.

Q.Where can I go to get fingerprints?
A.Layton Police Department provides fingerprinting services to residents of Layton, or employees of Layton businesses that require fingerprints by law, such as automobile dealerships, medical care facilities, financial institutions, etc. Residents must provide proof of residency with either government issued photo ID with name and address, or utility bill with name and address. Employees of Layton businesses must provide proof of employment with either a letter on company letterhead verifying that the person requesting fingerprints is employed by the business and must be fingerprinted for employment, or a business card with the name of the person requesting fingerprints and the business address printed on the card.

Services are generally offered Tuesdays and Thursdays between 2:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. However, days and times may be temporarily adjusted for holidays or unforeseen circumstances. The cost is $15.00 for up to three fingerprint cards and $5.00 for every card thereafter.

Individuals who need fingerprinting that do not meet these requirements can contact their local police department to see if they offer these services, or contact the Bureau of Criminal Identification. Information on the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification can be found at

Index Contact Us Site Credits Privacy and Security Statement