Layton City   search site  
Home Do Business Live & Work Play Departments Services & Payments Contact Us Follow Layton City Twitter Like Us on Facebook
  Skip Navigation Links Home Frequent Asked Questions
  Frequent Asked Questions


Community Development
Management Services
Parks & Recreation
Public Works

Heritage Museum
Surf 'n Swim

Community Development

Q.How can I get information about the Planning Commission meeting agenda?
A.Contact the Community Development Planning Division at 336-3780.

Q.Do I need a building permit to finish my basement?
A.A permit is required to finish a basement. Contact the Community Development Building Division at 336-3760 for more information.

Return to top


Q.When are City elections held?
A.Elections are held every other year on odd numbered years. Citizens interested in becoming a candidate must file a Declaration of Candidacy with the City Recorder, and meet candidacy requirements.

Q.What is my voting precinct?
A.You can look up your voting precinct at

Q.How do I register to vote?
A.Contact Davis County Clerk/Auditor at (801) 451-3420 or download mail-in form at

Q.What are the Utility Billing office hours?
A. Layton City Utility Billing Department office hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday, except holidays.

Q.What services does Layton City Utility Billing Department bill for?

Layton City bills for water, sewer, garbage, and storm drain. For new resident information please click here.

The minimum bill for residential services for a standard water meter is $113.90. The minimum bill is as follows:

UtilityPrice for 2 monthsComments
Water $25.70 First 14,000 gallons and $1.14 per thousand gallons over 14,000 gallons in the 2 month period.
Sewer $52.90  
Garbage $22.10 $16.70 for each additional can with 6 month minimum commitment.
Recycling - $11.00 per billing cycle (optional)
Storm Drain $9.20  
Street Lighting $4.00  

Q.I am new to Layton City and need to establish utility service. What do I do?

The Layton City Utility Billing Department bills for water, sewer, garbage and storm sewer. If you are new to the city and need to sign up for services, we do require you to read and accept the application disclaimer. There are several options to complete this:


  • Come into our office at 437 N. Wasatch Drive and fill out the application at a kiosk. We are located in the Layton City Center next to the Surf N’ Swim. Our hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.


Layton City charges a $25 new account fee, as well as a refundable $45 deposit. We must receive these payments before we can begin new services. Please contact us at 801-336-3860 to make a payment.

In most instances, water service can be started the same day we receive a signed application. To find out what day your garbage pickup day is, please call our office at 336-3860. You can download a new resident packet by clicking here.

Q.Is a deposit required when signing up for utility service?
A.There is a $45 deposit and a $25 new account fee required to establish services with Layton City.  

Q.I am moving from Layton and need to discontinue services. What do I need to do?
A.Please contact the Utility Billing department at (801) 336-3860 to terminate your account.

Q.How often does Layton City bill for services?
A.Layton City bills for residential utility services every other month.

Q.When are utility payments due and what happens if I don’t pay my bill on time?
A.Utility payments are due upon receipt of the bill and become delinquent after the 5th of the month following the month of billing. (Example: If you are billed in March, payment is due before April 6th). Delinquent payments are assessed a $5.00 late fee.

Q.Are there utility payment options other than by mail?
A.They are:
  • In person: we accept cash, checks, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
  • AutoPay: Electronic funds transfer from your bank account
  • Web payments: Payments are accepted on the City’s web site using a credit card or electronic funds transfer. Click here for a link to the web payment page.
  • Utility Payment Drop Box: Located on the east side of the City Center parking lot next to the blue U.S. Postal Service mailbox. Checks only please.
  • By phone: We will accept Debit/Credit Card payments over the phone.

Q.How do I set up AutoPay for electronic funds transfer?
A.In person in the Utility Billing office, request an application by sending an email to or call the Utility Billing office and request a form.

Q.How do order an additional garbage can? The lid on my garbage can broke off. Who do I contact?
A.Call Layton City’s Utility Billing office at (801) 336-3860.

Q.My garbage wasn’t picked up on its regularly scheduled day. Who do I contact?
A.If your garbage was not picked up on its regularly scheduled day please call the Utility Billing Office at (801)336-3860.

Return to top


Q.What are the regulations covering open burning in Layton City?
Open Burning Regulations
City, County and State laws regulate open Burning in Layton City. Burning in Davis County as a whole is limited to agricultural burning or a recreational fire as defined below. To qualify for agricultural open burning you must have 2 acres of farmland, which is used for crop growth or have a fruit orchard with 25 or more fruit trees. Agricultural open burning is limited to organic items, which are incidental, and essential to the agricultural operation "NO TRASH OR YARD WASTE". An example of items which may be burned are: fence lines on cultivated property, stubble fields, ditch banks, weeds when clearing land to be planted and trimmings from fruit trees when in conjunction with an orchard. State law requires that farmers who are going to burn those items notify the nearest fire department prior to burning. Layton City requires that you notify the fire department at (336-3940) and provide them with the start and end times of the burn, an address where the burning will occur, the name and a phone number of the responsible party for the burn and the materials that you will be burning. In addition, Layton City limits open burning to daylight hours and on days that the clean air index, provided by The Davis County Health Department, allows. All agricultural fires must be kept a minimum of 50 feet from structures. The responsible party must have a water supply or other means to control the fire. The fire must be constantly attended until completely out.

Layton City Fire Guidelines

Burning Allowed with Notification:

Camp Fires or recreational or cooking fires:
  • Must be clean dry wood
  • Must be kept under 3’ in diameter
  • Must be kept under 2’ in pile height
  • Must be kept a minimum 25’ from all structures and other combustibles
  • Must be constantly attended by a person eighteen years of age or older
  • Must have bucket of water hose or other means to extinguish
  • Must be used solely for cooking or recreational purposes
  • Must own the property or have written permission to kindle the fire
Agricultural Burning:
  • Must have 2 acres of cultivated land or a fruit orchard of 25 or more fruit trees
  • Must be incident to and essential to the agricultural operation
  • Must be constantly attended
  • To be conducted during daylight hours only
  • Must have means to extinguish or control the fire
  • Must be kept a minimum of 50’ from all structures
  • Must comply with air quality index (except for ditch banks, cannel banks, fence lines on cultivated land. They are still asked to comply with air quality index)
  • When any of the above burning is creating a public hazard the on duty fire officer may have the fire extinguished. When weather or other conditions make burning a hazard, such as winds etc. The officer on duty may deny all burning requests.

Return to top

Q.Who does your office represent?
A.The City Attorney’s Office is legal counsel for the municipal corporation. This office represents the City Council and the various commissions, boards, and departments of the City. This office represents the City when it is involved in a civil lawsuit and this office prosecutes cases involving criminal misdemeanors that occur within the City.

Return to top

Management Services

Q.How do I file a claim against the City for damages alleged to be caused by the City?
A.Refer to the City’s website under “Departments”, “Management Services”, “Risk Management”, “File a Claim” to download a claim form, or visit the Management Services department on the lower level of the Layton City Center to obtain a claim form. You will be instructed to complete the claim form, have it notarized, and submit it through the City Recorder’s office to the Management Services department.

Q.How is the community organized so that citizens can provide and request help in the event of a disaster?
A.The City is divided into "districts", which use the same boundaries as LDS stakes. Each district is divided into 5 to 10 "areas" which use the same boundaries as LDS wards. Each area is divided into 12 to 20 neighborhoods. LDS stake and ward boundaries are used because they are well established, convenient and recognized by many within the city. It is critical to note that the plan is for all citizens living within these boundaries regardless of religious affiliation. Layton City has asked the LDS stake presidents to help us identify a "district coordinator" for each district. District coordinators are trained by Layton City and are responsible to appoint and train "area coordinators", who appoint and train "neighborhood coordinators". Those who serve as district, area and neighborhood coordinators function as Layton City volunteers, and as such, serve without regard to religious affiliation. Layton City encourages each area to have at least 30 CERT trained citizens who can be divided into at least two teams to perform triage, emergency first aid and rapid damage assessment as soon as possible after an event occurs. CERT teams for each area are organized and coordinated by the area coordinators. During an emergency, district, area and neighborhood coordinators are primarily concerned with the welfare of citizens and act in a prudent and wise manner to see to their safety and well-being. As a secondary concern, they consider the protection and preservation of private property in the neighborhood. Through the organization of functioning districts, areas and neighborhoods, Layton City will be better able to communicate with and assist the citizens of Layton during a major emergency event.

Q.What is CERT training, and how do I schedule training?
A.CERT stands for Community Emergency Response Team. CERT training provides instruction for citizens to provide basic assistance in areas such as disaster awareness, fire suppression, first-aid, urban search and rescue, and disaster psychology during a catastrophe or disaster. During a disaster, it may be several days before Police, Fire and Medical personnel can respond, so this training provides a valuable service to the student’s family and neighbors that would be served. The course consists of 8 modules and currently costs $25 per participant for the entire course. Courses can be scheduled through the Management Services Department secretary at 336-3820. Also see under “Live and Work“, “Emergency Preparedness“ and “CERT“.

Q.Where can I find more information on Emergency Preparedness?
A.See under “Live and Work”, “Emergency Preparedness”

Q.Does Layton City participate in E-Verify?

Yes, Layton City does participate in E-Verify.
E-Verify is an Internet-based system operated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically compares information entered on the Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9, with records contained in SSA and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) databases to help employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees. Down below you will find the Right to Work and the E-Verify Participation posters in an English and Spanish version.

Return to top

Parks & Recreation

Q.When are the city parks open?
A.All city parks are open from 4:30am to midnight.

Q.Does the city provide trash receptacles in public parks?
A.No, the City does not provide garbage receptacles in public parks. Therefore, you are asked to take any garbage with you when you leave the park.

Q.Why are dogs not allowed in Layton City's parks?

Thank you for choosing Layton City for your outdoor recreation activities. In an effort to provide a clean, safe, and enjoyable experience for all users, please be aware of the current Layton City municipal code regarding dogs in the parks. The code reads as follows:

8.07.060. Places prohibited to animals

(a) Dogs, whether on a leash or not on a leash, shall be completely prohibited from all City owned parks, school premises during school hours and school activities, and posted picnic, pond, and play areas.
(b) Exceptions.
(i) This Subsection shall not apply to guide dogs in the company of a blind or hearing impaired person, or other certified aid dogs, or dogs in the presence of their masters for the purpose of public education programs or law enforcement exercises.
(ii) This Subsection shall not apply to the portions of the City’s trail system that are outside of the boundaries of formal, established parks. However, any person having a dog on the trail system shall have a leash on the dog and be in control thereof at all times.

Failure to comply with this city municipal code could result in a citation from Davis County Animal Control and/or Layton City Police.

Q.Where can I take my dog in Layton City?

To accommodate the many pet owners in the city, we have provided multiple outdoor places where you may take you dog. We invite and encourage you to take your dog(s) to one of our natural areas were dogs on leashes are allowed as stated in section b subsection ii. Dogs on leashes are allowed in the following areas:

Kay’s Creek Trail (East, 2.25 miles);
Adam Welker Trail Head located at 2050 E 2600 N
Country Hollow access located at 1450 E 2225 N

Kay’s Creek Trail (West, 1.5 miles);
Flint Street access located at 500 S Flint St
Angle Street access located at 825 S Angel St

Bamberger Trail (1 mile);
Gentile Street Access located on the East side of I-15 Gentile overpass.
Church Street Access located at 277 N Church St
400 West Access; located at 525 N 400 W

Bonneville Shoreline Trail (10+ miles);
Layton Ridges access located at 3100 N Layton Ridge Dr (3250 E)
Fernwood access located at 200 N Fernwood Park Rd (3350 E)
Adams Canyon access located at 450 N Eastside Dr (2950 E)

In the summer of 2010, Layton’s section of the Rail Trail will be constructed adding an additional three miles to our trails system. This will complete the Rail Trail system running the length of Davis County, connecting the neighboring cities of Clinton, Clearfield, Layton, Kaysville, and Farmington. In addition, the Rail Trail will connect to the Legacy trail system which runs through the cities of Farmington, Centerville, Woods Cross, and North Salt Lake connecting Davis County to Salt Lake County and the Jordan River Parkway Trail system.

If you have any questions, please contact Layton City Parks Department at (801) 336-3900. Thank you for your consideration and support. We hope you enjoy Layton City’s parks and open spaces as much as we enjoy providing them for you.

Return to top


Q.Can I get a copy of a police report?

In order to comply with Utah State Law, requests for police reports are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Requests may be started online by filling out an Online Record Request Form or they may be made in person at the Records Division, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding legal holidays.  Requests received via mail will also only be considered if the signature on the request is notarized.

Valid government issued photo ID or notarization of identity is required in order for records to be released, regardless of the method used to request the record.

In order to process the request, you will be asked to provide the following information: Your identity, case number (if known), address of occurrence, date of occurrence, parties involved and type of report.

There is a $5.00 fee for up to 10 pages and $0.25 for each additional page of each report.  If photos are requested, the photos may be copied to a CD for $10.00 or prints may be made.  The cost for prints of photos is $10.00 for up to 10 photos and $2.00 per additional photo.

Most requests can be processed within 10 days of receipt.

Online Record Request Form

Q.Do I need to cover my trash on the way to the landfill?
A.Yes. All loads need to be covered on the way to the landfill.

Q.Can I get a copy of a traffic accident report?
A.In accordance with Utah State Law, accident reports can be released to:
  1. A person involved in the accident, excluding witnesses;
  2. A person suffering loss or injury in the accident;
  3. A parent or legal guardian of a minor involved in the accident;
  4. An agent of a person involved in the accident (attorney, insurer or other entity, or an individual with written permission);
  5. A state, local or federal agency that uses the records for official governmental investigative or accident prevention purposes;
  6. Law enforcement personnel when acting in their official capacities;
  7. Licensed private investigators when acting in their official capacities.

Requests can be started online by filling out an Online Record Request Form or you can make your request in person at the Records Division, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding legal holidays. Valid government issued photo ID or notarization of identity is required in order for records to be released, regardless of the method used to request the record.  Requests received via mail will also only be considered if the signature on the request is notarized.

There is a $5.00 charge for up to 10 pages and $0.25 for each additional page of each report. If photos were taken, the photos may be copied to a CD for $10.00 or prints may be made.  The cost for prints of photos is $10.00 for up to 10 photos and $2.00 per additional photo.

Online Record Request Form

Return to top

Public Works

Q.Is a permit required to replace or add an additional drive approach?
A.Replacement of addition of drive approaches requires a permit, which is given out in the Engineering Department. You need to bring a drawing, which includes a measurement of the property frontage, the measurement of the existing driveway and what you plan to widen or add to your drive approach. This drawing is reviewed and approved through the Community Development department (Scott Carter, Kem Weaver or Peter Matson), prior to obtaining this permit.

Q.Will the City help with any of the sidewalk replacement costs?
A.The City does a biennial sidewalk replacement project, determined by a physical survey of the City sidewalks, and using URMMA and ADA recommendations. If your sidewalk does not qualify for replacement, or if you desire replacement before the City can schedule this replacement, the City can schedule the cutting out and hauling off of your curb & gutter or sidewalk, and you would then be required to have this replaced by a concrete specialist of your choice. A Sidewalk/ Curb & Gutter/ Drive Approach Replacement Permit is required before the Public Works Department will schedule for this service.

Q.Where do I obtain a Sidewalk/ Curb & Gutter/ Drive Approach permit?
What information will I need to bring to obtain this permit?
A.Permits for driveway, sidewalk, or curb & gutter replacement are obtained in the Engineering department. You must obtain an approval from Community Development on your drive approach permit if you would like to widen an existing drive approach or adding an additional approach.

Q.My sanitary sewer lateral has a break in it. Who is responsible to repair the break?
A.The homeowner is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the entire lateral, from the home to the connection point at the main. A Street Cut permit will be required to any repair that will impact the street right-of-way, which is 1-foot behind sidewalk.

Q.Where can I find the current Layton City Development Guidelines and Design Standards and Standard Plans for Public Facilities Construction?
A.These manuals can be found on our website, or they may be purchased at the Public Works Engineering Department at the Layton City offices for $25 a set.

Q.What should I do if I hear or see water running in the street or on my property?
A.Call Public Works at 336-3720 during regular business hours or Police Dispatch at 497-8300 after hours, on weekends or on holidays.

Q.If I have water pressure problems what should I do?
A.You can start by checking your screens in your sinks to make sure they are not plugged. Then you might want to check your regulator, it should be located near your shutoff valve. If you have continued problems call Public Works at 336-3720.

Q.If I see a downed traffic sign or traffic light what should I do?
A.Call Public Works at 336-3720 during regular business hours or Police Dispatch at 497-8300 after hours, on weekends or on holidays.

Q.What are the priorities for snow removal?

The City has established the following priorities for snow removal.

Priority 1: Primary traffic streets are usually known as arterials. Arterial streets are determined to be the high volume, minimum network which must be kept open to provide the basic transportation system serving the high volume streets, hazardous intersections, hospitals, fire stations, police stations, schools and other “safety sensitive” areas within the City.

Collector streets are the basic networks covering the major traffic streets. Included are selected critical steep grade streets, access to schools and critical commercial areas.

Priority 2: Secondary and residential routes are selected minor arterial, secondary intersections, collectors, bus routes and residential neighborhood streets deemed desirable to be maintained as time and storm duration permit.

Priority 3: Remaining city streets, accesses or unpaved roadways

Please Note:
It is not the position of the City of Layton to maintain a bare pavement policy or to provide snow and ice removal on every City Street during or after every snowstorm. Therefore, after periods in which the movement of traffic has occurred, snowplows are not as effective for totally clearing packed snow or icy roadways. Temperatures, storm duration and intensity have a profound effect on the ability of snowplows to clear streets and for salt to melt the snow and ice.

Return to top


Return to top

Heritage Museum

Q.When was the museum opened?
A.The Heritage Museum was conceived as a Bicentennial project and the doors of the museum opened in 1980. Currently, the museum has 7,200 square feet of display space.

Q.What type of museum is the Heritage Museum?
A.The Heritage Museum is a historical museum. Exhibits and permanent displays tell the story of the early social, economic, and cultural development of Northern Davis County.

Q.How did the Layton street get the name Gentile?
A.Several early Layton settlers were not members of the LDS Church. Consequently, these settlers were referred to as Gentiles. Since the Gentiles tended to live near each other the street where they built homes and a Protestant church became known as Gentile Street.

Q.I have some old things in my garage. Can I donate them to the museum?
A.The museum takes donations if they apply to the mission of the museum. Anyone interested in making a donation can contact the museum curator by calling (801) 336-3930.

Return to top

Surf 'N Swim

Q.Will the pool close due to lightning even with the bubble on?

Yes, the pool(s) will close during lightning storms.

The bubble is not protected from lightning strikes and is therefore considered an outdoor pool.

Current operating procedure is as follows; At the first signs of lightning or thunder, the pool(s) will be evacuated. If the staff sees lightning, hears thunder or the lightning detector indicates a strike closer than 8 miles; the pool(s), surrounding deck and grassy areas will be cleared. The pool(s) will remain cleared for at least 30 minutes after the last observed lightning or thunder. Patrons should leave the pool(s) and the surrounding area. Seek shelter inside the lobby and racquetball area.

Return to top

Index Contact Us Site Credits Privacy and Security Statement