Layton City FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions
Expand All

Building Permits

I want to install an alarm in my house. Do I need a permit?
A permit is required for any type of house alarm. Permits for house alarms are obtained through the Police Department.
I'm installing a shed. Do I need a building permit?
Building permits are required for all sheds larger than 200 square feet. All sheds must meet the required setbacks. Contact the Community Development Department for the appropriate information about your particular situation.
I want to remodel my home. Do I need a building permit?
A permit is required for all finishing and remodeling of a home.
I'm installing a sprinkling system. Do I need a permit?
A permit is required for all sprinkling systems that connect to the culinary water system.
Do I need a building permit to finish my basement?
A permit is required to finish a basement. Contact the Community Development Building Division at 336-3760 for more information.

Business Licensing

Do I need a business license?

Any person conducting business within Layton City limits must first obtain a business license.  A person shall be deemed to be conducting a business or nonprofit enterprise, and thus be subject to licensing requirements if said person does one act of: (a) selling any goods or services; (b) soliciting business or offering goods or services for sale or hire; or (c) using any vehicle or any premises in the City for a business purpose.

Certain types of businesses are specifically exempt by the State of Utah from license fees, i.e. insurance agents, non-profit organizations or low impact home occupation businesses.  However, this does not exclude them from obtaining a valid license and completing the necessary safety inspections or complying with zoning requirements.

If your business is located in a commercially zoned location, it is highly recommended that you contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 801-336-3780 for specific zoning regulations and restrictions prior to signing a lease or submitting an application.

How do I apply for a business license?

Visit our website at Select one of the following types of applications:

Commercial: For businesses operating at a commercial address. A Beer/Alcohol license application is included in this application for new businesses;
Residential: For businesses operating at a residential address;
Temporary: For Mobile Food Vendors, Snow Shacks, Fireworks Stands, Outdoor Seasonal, Tent Events, etc.;
Solicitor: For Door-To-Door Solicitation;
Beer/Alcohol: For existing commercial business who wish to add beer/alcohol sales.

Verification of your business name registration with the State of Utah (website: and any required State license from the Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing (DOPL) for cosmetologists, contractor, physicians, etc. (website: will be verified prior to forwarding the application to the Planning Department for approval.

How do I register my business name?

All entities conducting business in Utah under an assumed or fictitious (DBA - “Doing Business As”) name must register such name with the State of Utah Department of Commerce.  Visit for further assistance.  If you wish to operate your business under your own personal given name, no business name registration is required.

How long does it take to get my business license?

Typical Planning Department review time is 7-10 business days if there is no missing or incomplete information.  After your application has been approved you will be notified via email of the approval, the license fees due, if a Fire or Building Inspection is required and instructions on how to pay the fees online.

After the fees are paid, and if a Fire or Building inspection is required, your application will be forwarded to the appropriate department and an inspector will contact you regarding the scheduling of that inspection.  After the inspection passes your license will be issued.  If no inspection is required, and there are no outstanding documents or information required, your license will be issued without delay.

How much does a business license cost?

All licensing fees are as set forth in the City’s Consolidated Fee Schedule.  Click here to view a complete list of licensing fees.  All fees are subject to change.  Please contact the Licensing Division at 801-336-3788 to verify the specific fees associated with your business.

Do I need a separate license to sell alcohol/beer?

Yes. The application for a Beer License can be found on our website at under the Commercial Application.  The business owner must provide a BCI Background Check and the application must go through City Council for approval prior to being issued.  Completed applications must be submitted to our office no later than two (2) weeks prior to a City Council meeting to ensure the item is placed on the agenda.  City Council meets the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month, holidays considered.

Do I need more than one business license?

Any person engaging in or carrying on one (1) or more businesses, whether or not at the same location, shall obtain a separate license for each business and pay the appropriate fees for each.

Does my business require a background check?

Background checks are required for solicitor, taxi, beer/alcohol and sexually oriented business licenses.  A background check can be obtained from the Layton City Police Department or a BCI Background Check can be obtained from the Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Identification. Visit their website at

Do I need a State Sales Tax Number?

If your business is selling or reselling products to consumers you will need to obtain a Sales and Use Tax Number from the State.  This may be done at the same time you register your business name, or you may visit their website at

Can I operate a business from my home?

If your business meets Layton City’s requirements for a Home Occupation (Ord. 19.06.040 & 19.06.045) your business may be approved.  A list of requirements for home-based businesses is listed on the Residential Application found online at  A list of Day Care and Preschool requirements can be found on the Residential Application under the “Plan Review” and “Compliance Statements and Questions” sections after selecting “Day Care” or “Preschool” as the type of license.

How long is my license valid for?

Each business license is valid for one (1) year from the date of issuance.   A Renewal Notice will be sent out approximately 20 days before your license expires.

How do I renew my business license?

You may renew your business license one of the following ways:  By creating or logging into your account online at; by mailing a check to 437 N Wasatch Drive, Attn: Business Licensing, Layton UT 84041; bringing in your payment to our offices; or calling 801-336-3780 and make a credit/debit card payment over the phone.  A 2% surcharge is assessed for all credit card transactions over $75.00.

What are the penalties for renewing late?

If a license fee is required and the fee is paid 16 to 45 days after the renewal date, a $40.00 late fee is assessed.
If a license is paid 46 days or more after the renewal date, a $65.00 late fee is assessed.
If payment has not been made within 60 days after the renewal date the license will automatically be terminated.

Are business licenses transferable?

Business licenses are not transferable from one location to another nor from one owner to another.

If you are planning on relocating your business from one address to another address within Layton City limits or are a new owner of an existing business, a new business license application must be submitted online at  If the business sells alcohol/beer, a new Beer License application must be submitted and approved by City Council.

What if I move my business to a new location within Layton City limits?

Business licenses are non-transferable from one location to another. A new business license application must be submitted at for review and approval for the new location.

If the new location is a commercial address, a Fire inspection will be required along with the associated fee.

If you are relocating your home-based business from one residential address to another residential address, a new business license application must be submitted online at  If you have clients coming to your home, a Building inspection along with the associated fee will be required.

If you are relocating your home-based business to a commercial location or vice versa, a new business license application must be submitted online at  A Fire Inspection for the new commercial location will be required. A Building inspection may be required for the new residential location.

What if I sell my business?

Visit our website at  Under Business Licensing Forms select the “Termination Request” tab.   Fill out and submit the form online to terminate your license.  Please list the new owner information, if applicable, so we may follow up to make sure a new license is applied for.

What if my business moves out of Layton City or closes?

Visit our website at  Under Business Licensing Forms select the “Termination Request” tab.   Fill out and submit the form online to terminate your license.

What if my business name, contact information, mailing address, phone number, email address or description of business activities changes?

Visit our website at  Under Business Licensing Forms select the “Change Information” tab.   Fill out the form and submit it online.  Your information will be updated in our computers. If there is a name change a new license will be issued reflecting the new business name.

City Attorney's Office

Who does your office represent?
The City Attorney’s Office is legal counsel for the municipal corporation. This office represents the City Council and the various commissions, boards, and departments of the City. This office represents the City when it is involved in a civil lawsuit and this office prosecutes cases involving criminal misdemeanors that occur within the City.
Who and what is a “public defender?”
A “public defender” is an attorney appointed by the court to represent a defendant in a criminal case when that defendant is found to be indigent. The name is based on the fact that the attorney is paid for by the “public” and “defends” the accused. When an entity, such as the City, accepts the responsibility to prosecute criminal cases, the City must also accept the responsibility of providing a public defender for those that cannot afford an attorney. The City does this by entering into a contract with a law firm or attorney to provide these services. The City’s current contract for its public defender services is Larsen, Larsen, Nash & Larsen, who may be contacted at 1-800-769-1026.
How do I find out my court date?
You may do so by contacting the court at (801) 444-4300.
Why can’t I “drop the charges” against someone who has committed a crime against me?
Charges are filed at the discretion of the City Prosecutor. The City presses charges, not an individual. However, if you are the victim of a crime, you are entitled to give input to be considered by the Prosecutor and/or the Judge about your case. If you wish to do so, you should contact the Layton City Victim Advocate, (801) 336-3599.
What do I need to do if I want to sue someone?
The City Attorney cannot help you with your private legal needs. If you wish to sue someone, you need to hire your attorney or represent yourself.
What do I need to do if I want to file a Small Claims case against someone?
The Court has the necessary form. Contact the Court at (801) 444-4300 or go to

Code Enforcement

What kind of surfaces am I allowed to park on?
A hard surface is required for all vehicles and/or recreational vehicles.  This may be cement, asphalt, gravel or compacted road base.
Am I responsible for landscaping and maintaining the park strip area at my house?
  1. 19.16.070- The park strip between any public street and private property shall be landscaped with grass and plantings.  Maintenance of this area shall be the responsibility of the abutting property owner.
My neighbor has not shoveled the snow on his sidewalk for the past two days. Can anything be done about this?
  1. 12.04.060- All accumulations of snow, sleet, or precipitation impairing safe access and use of sidewalks shall be removed within twelve hours from the termination of the storm.
  2. 12.04.060- It shall be unlawful to deposit snow or other material in a street maintained and plowed for purposes of snow removal by the city.  The term “or other material” can include dirt, gravel, or miscellaneous debris.
How quickly do I have to shovel after the end of a snow storm?
All precipitation must be removed from sidewalks within twelve (12) hours of a storm. You may not shovel the snow into the street.
My neighbor has several vehicles in their driveway and some of them partially block the sidewalk. Is this legal?
  1. 10.62.030(1) and 10.62.030(2) – It is prohibited to park a vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct any portion of the sidewalk or parking strip.
There is a business next to my home that has started to store junk and trash around their building. Can anything be done about this?
  1. 19.06.110- No yard or other open space around an existing building shall be used for the storage of junk, trash, building materials, debris, inoperable vehicles or commercial equipment, and fuel.
I have a vehicle on my property that has not been registered for a year, but I am restoring the vehicle. Is there a city ordinance that deals with this issue?
  1. All vehicles on the property must be licensed and operable. Any inoperable or unlicensed (when licenses and registration have been expired for a period of 4 months) vehicles must be removed from your property, or stored in a completely enclosed structure. This includes any and all vehicle parts. If vehicles are being restored, a Restoration Permit is required and can be obtained from the Police Department.
    Layton City Code 6.24.170 and 6.24.175
My neighbor is a truck driver and they often have their truck parked in our neighborhood. Sometimes it is just the truck, but other times it has a trailer attached. Is this legal?
  1. 10.88.020- It is prohibited to park a truck or trailer registered for 13, 000 pounds gross weight or  more in residential areas. It is also prohibited to park an unladen tractor truck in a residential area. These vehicles are restricted to specific roads unless they are crossing a street, servicing or refueling. The following is a list of approved roads for these vehicles:
  • US Highway 89
  • West Hill Field between 1200 West and Main Street
  • Interstate 15
  • Antelope Drive West of University Park Blvd(1200 West)
  • Highway 193
  • McCormick Way
  • Oak Hills Drive
  • Hill Field Road
  • Main Street
  • Railroad right of way
  • Marshall Way
Am I responsible to have my landscaping done? I recently built a home in Layton. How quickly am I required to have my landscaping done?
19.13.050-  Front yard landscaping shall be installed within eighteen (18) months after the issuance of the certificate of occupancy.
I own a business and someone has left a vehicle on my property for two weeks. Is this legal?
  1. 41-6a-1408 - A vehicle parked on a highway for 48 hours or longer; or a vehicle left on public or private property in excess of 7 days without the consent of the owner will be considered abandoned and may be towed.
I have been parking one of my vehicles on our front lawn. Is this legal?
  1. 19.12.100- This code essentially says that if any part of a property is being used to park vehicles, it must be properly graded for drainage, surfaced with concrete, asphalt, road base, or gravel and maintained in good condition, free of vegetation, dust, trash, and debris.
  2. - This code states to park any vehicle, trailer, boat, or similar apparatus upon any developed parcel the area designed for parking must be concrete, asphalt, or similar solid surface and be of size to house the entire vehicle.
  3. 19.12.030 – No portion of a front yard, other than approved driveways, can be used for parking vehicles.
  4. By state law, “vehicles” includes, but is not limited to, a motor vehicle, trailer, semi trailer, off highway vehicle, manufactured or mobile home.
    1. “Off highway vehicle” includes, but is not limited to, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, and personal watercraft.
How clean do I need to keep my yard?
All yards need to be maintained and clear of junk, trash and debris. This includes any vehicle that is not current on its registration.
Can I park on the sidewalk?
No.  Parking on sidewalks is not allowed.
How many dogs/cats can I have?

19.06.070 – Household Pets

You can have 2 dogs or cats or combination thereof. In addition, a conditional use permit can be issued for a seeing-eye, search and rescue, or other aid dog. The aid dog must be certified to serve in the capacity intended by an independent and qualified agency.

Can my neighbor park in front of my mailbox?
  1. It is illegal to park any vehicle in any location that interferes with the delivery and monitoring of essential services such as utilities, postal services and refuse collection.
Is it legal for me to park my vehicle on the street or in a commercial parking lot for the purpose of displaying it for sale?
  1. 10.62.030 (3a) – It is prohibited to park a vehicle on any street or publicly owned or controlled property or right-of-way for the principle purpose of displaying the vehicle for sale.
    *This ordinance has been repealed and is being revised.
  2. 19.06.010 – It is prohibited to park any vehicle on commercial property not properly licensed for vehicle sales for the principle purpose of displaying the vehicle for sale.
    1. No property owner can give permission to violate any Layton City ordinance.
What are the laws regarding parking my car, trailer, boat, or recreation vehicle on the street?
Layton City has several ordinances that apply to this scenario.
  1. 10.62.030(4) and 10.68.010(2) - It is prohibited to park any vehicle that cannot be lawfully operated upon public streets upon any street, public right-of-way or publicly owned or controlled property.
    1. In addition to all required equipment, lawfully operated would also mean current registration and insurance.
  2. 10.68.010 – It is prohibited to leave a vehicle parked in the same place on any street or alley continuously for more than 72 hours.
  3. 10.62.030(5) – It is prohibited to park any recreational vehicle, trailer, boat, or similar apparatus on any public street, except for immediate loading or unloading, and never longer than 24 consecutive hours.
  4. 10.62.030(8) – It is prohibited to park any vehicle in a location that interferes with the delivery and monitoring of essential services, such as utilities, postal services and refuse collection.
  5. 10.62.010 – It is prohibited to park any vehicle on any street between 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.  from December to February, or any other time when removal of snow is apparent or imminent.
Can I have rabbits, goats, pigs, horses or other farm animals?

Animals normally associated with being kept outdoors and/or normally associated with agricultural areas such as horses, cows, goats, sheep, pigs, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, or other farm animals are not permitted in single family neighborhoods.

Farm Animals are allowed in the (A) and (R-S) zones, the R-S zone require a minimum lot size of 20,000 square feet for farm animals.

Layton City Municipal Code: 19.06.080 (1)

“…Not more than one (1) cow or horse and two (2) sheep or goats and twenty−five (25) pheasants or chickens, or rabbits, or pigeons; and ten (10) geese or ducks, for every twenty thousand (20,000) square feet of lot area. Animals and fowl not specifically listed may be substituted for those listed of similar size. Combinations of animals and fowl are also allowed within the numbers listed for each category. A increase in this density is allowed only by a conditional use permit for a farm industry as set forth in this Title”.

Where can I place my fence?

The Fencing Regulations handout outlines the location of permitted fencing around the boundaries of a residential lot. In addition, all fencing must meet Clearview requirements. Fences located in Clear View must not be taller than 2’ or must be 75% open. 

How tall can my fence be in a residential area?

Front yard max height: 6’
Side and rear yard max height: 8’ (over 7’ requires a building permit)
Privacy (solid) fence is permitted in the front, side and rear yards with exception to Clear View regulations.

Can I trim my neighbor’s tree?

If the tree crosses private property lines, the adjacent property can trim the tree branches back to the property line.  

Am I allowed to have chickens?

Property that are under a single family zone (R-1-6, R-1-8, R-1-10, and R-S zoning districts) are allowed to have up to 6 female chickens as long as the following criteria is met:

  • The property is at least 10,000 square feet
  • Chickens are kept in a pen in a fenced rear yard that is at least 5 feet from any property line
  • The pen is no larger than 120 square feet and no more than 7 feet tall
  • A annual $30 permit is obtained from the Community and Economic Development Department. Click Here for the permit
  • Additional requirements may apply for a full copy of the ordinance see Layton City Municipal Code 19.06.080(2) Residential Chickens


When are City elections held?
Elections are held every other year on odd numbered years. Citizens interested in becoming a candidate must file a Declaration of Candidacy with the City Recorder, and meet candidacy requirements.
What is my voting precinct?
You can look up your voting precinct at
How do I register to vote?
Contact Davis County Clerk/Auditor at (801) 451-3420 or download mail-in form at

Emergency Planning

How is the community organized so that citizens can provide and request help in the event of a disaster?
The City is divided into "districts", which use the same boundaries as LDS stakes. Each district is divided into 5 to 10 "areas" which use the same boundaries as LDS wards. Each area is divided into 12 to 20 neighborhoods. LDS stake and ward boundaries are used because they are well established, convenient and recognized by many within the city. It is critical to note that the plan is for all citizens living within these boundaries regardless of religious affiliation. Layton City has asked the LDS stake presidents to help us identify a "district coordinator" for each district. District coordinators are trained by Layton City and are responsible to appoint and train "area coordinators", who appoint and train "neighborhood coordinators". Those who serve as district, area and neighborhood coordinators function as Layton City volunteers, and as such, serve without regard to religious affiliation. Layton City encourages each area to have at least 30 CERT trained citizens who can be divided into at least two teams to perform triage, emergency first aid and rapid damage assessment as soon as possible after an event occurs. CERT teams for each area are organized and coordinated by the area coordinators. During an emergency, district, area and neighborhood coordinators are primarily concerned with the welfare of citizens and act in a prudent and wise manner to see to their safety and well-being. As a secondary concern, they consider the protection and preservation of private property in the neighborhood. Through the organization of functioning districts, areas and neighborhoods, Layton City will be better able to communicate with and assist the citizens of Layton during a major emergency event.
What is CERT training, and how do I schedule training?
CERT stands for Community Emergency Response Team. CERT training provides instruction for citizens to provide basic assistance in areas such as disaster awareness, fire suppression, first-aid, urban search and rescue, and disaster psychology during a catastrophe or disaster. During a disaster, it may be several days before Police, Fire and Medical personnel can respond, so this training provides a valuable service to the student’s family and neighbors that would be served. The course consists of 8 modules and currently costs $25 per participant for the entire course. Courses can be scheduled through the Management Services Department secretary at 336-3820. Also see under “Live and Work“, “Emergency Preparedness“ and “CERT“.
Where can I find more information on Emergency Preparedness?
See under “Live and Work”, “Emergency Preparedness”


When is a Traffic Control Plan (TCP) required with a Street Cut permit?
A TCP is required when the normal function of the roadway is altered creating an unsafe condition for workers, motor vehicles, pedestrians, and or bicycles. Under normal circumstances, construction activities conducted within a subdivision and located on the side of a road is considered reasonably safe for the slower traffic that use the road and will not be required to prepare a TCP. However, the proper signage and channelization devices should still be used to direct traffic away from the work zone.
Where can I get information on the preparation of Traffic Control Plans?
Layton City Engineering has a brief handout that outlines some of the requirements for a TCP. It is not all-inclusive and will not cover all situations. The main resource for preparing a TCP is the “Manual On Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Ch-6”. It is not necessary to purchase the manual. The Federal Highway Administration has made it available on their website at:
Do I need a permit to replace sidewalk, or curb and gutter?
Yes. Any work that will impact the City’s right-of-way requires a permit. This right-of-way is normally one foot behind the sidewalk.
Is a permit required to replace or add an additional drive approach?
Replacement of addition of drive approaches requires a permit, which is given out in the Engineering Department. You need to bring a drawing, which includes a measurement of the property frontage, the measurement of the existing driveway and what you plan to widen or add to your drive approach. This drawing is reviewed and approved through the Community Development department (Kem Weaver), prior to obtaining this permit.
Will the City help with any of the sidewalk replacement costs?
The City does a biennial sidewalk replacement project, determined by a physical survey of the City sidewalks, and using URMMA and ADA recommendations. If your sidewalk does not qualify for replacement, or if you desire replacement before the City can schedule this replacement, the City can schedule the cutting out and hauling off of your curb & gutter or sidewalk, and you would then be required to have this replaced by a concrete specialist of your choice. A Sidewalk/ Curb & Gutter/ Drive Approach Replacement Permit is required before the Public Works Department will schedule for this service.
Where do I obtain a Sidewalk/ Curb & Gutter/ Drive Approach permit?
What information will I need to bring to obtain this permit?
Permits for driveway, sidewalk, or curb & gutter replacement are obtained in the Engineering department. You must obtain an approval from Community Development on your drive approach permit if you would like to widen an existing drive approach or adding an additional approach.
When do I need a Street Cut Permit? How do I obtain one?
Anytime you anticipate being in the right-of-way of the City, a street cut permit is required. Normally this is right-of-way is 1-foot behind sidewalk. This permit may be obtained in the Engineering Department. For questions call: (801) 336-3700.
What is a Street Cut Bond? Is this refundable?
A Street Cut Bond is required when digging in the right-of-way of the City. It is determined by the length of cut, and is paid at the time of applying for Street Cut Permit. This Cash Surety Bond is held for one year, and is refundable if the trench maintains its integrity for that year.
What is a trench maintenance fee?
The trench maintenance fee is based upon the size of the road, the length of the cut, the type of utility being replaced or installed, and the placement of the repair within the road. These fees are used for the eventual overlay of these impacted roads.
When do “double winter rates” go into effect on Street Cut permits?
Winter fees shall be double the permit fee for an excavation made between October 15th and May 15th. For further questions, please refer to City Ordinance 99-54, Municipal Code Chapter 12.16.
My sanitary sewer lateral has a break in it. Who is responsible to repair the break?
The homeowner is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the entire sewer lateral, from the home to the connection point at the main.  Refer to the attached document for more information Sewer Lateral.  A Street Cut permit will be required to any repair that will impact the street right-of-way, which is 1-foot behind sidewalk. 
Where can I find the current Layton City Development Guidelines and Design Standards and Standard Plans for Public Facilities Construction?
These manuals can be found on our website, or they may be purchased at the Public Works Engineering Department at the Layton City offices for $25 a set.
How do I apply for a UPDES General Construction Storm Water Permit?
Applications can be completed online at: All subdivision and commercial developments are required to acquire the UPDES General Construction Storm Water Permit, and submit a copy of this permit to Layton City before a pre-construction meeting can be scheduled.


What is the sales tax rate in Layton City?
See current and historic sales tax rates at


Is the Layton City Fire Department full-time?
The Layton Fire Department is considered to be a combination Fire Department, utilizing both full-time employees and part-time employees. The department's on duty staffing consists of one battalion chief, two paramedic engine companies with three personnel each, one truck company with three personnel and three ambulances with two personnel each. The minimum daily staffing is 16 personnel split between the three fire stations.  
How many square miles does the Layton City Fire Department protect?
Layton City Fire Department protects 25 square miles including unincorporated areas of Davis County. The Fire Department provides medical services at both basic life support and advanced life support levels. The department provides firefighting services, hazardous materials services, rescue, fire prevention, inspection, and so forth. In addition the department provides ambulance services for the Eastern portion of Hill Air Force Base and South Weber City.
What services does Layton City Fire Department provide?

Emergency and Response Services:

  • Fire Suppression and Extinguishment
  • Fire Cause and Origin Investigations
  • Ambulance Service at an EMT Intermediate Level (Scene Response and Intrafacility Transfers)
  • Paramedic Rescue Services (Advanced Life Support)
  • Hazardous Materials Response (Operations and Technician Level)
  • Technical Rescue Services (Trench / Confined Space, High Angle / Mountain Rescue, Automobile / Machinery Extrication.)
  • Evidentiary Blood Draws For The Police Department (DUI and Drug Arrests)
  • Ambulance Service at an EMT Intermediate Level to Hill Air Force Base
  • Ambulance Service at an EMT Intermediate Level to South Weber City

Public Education and Relations Services:

  • Elementary School All Risk Education Program ( All Elementary Schools in Layton City)
  • Fire Prevention Week Open House
  • EMS Week Presentation
  • Fire Extinguisher and Safety Class to Local Businesses
  • Public Speaking and Fire Safety Education at Local Civic Groups as Requested
  • CERT Training
  • Fire Station Tours
  • Blood Pressure Checks
  • Ambulance Standby at High School Football Games and other Special Events
  • Fourth of July Public Fireworks Display

Fire Prevention Services:

  • Fire Code Compliance Inspections (Day Cares, Retail, Hospital, Manufacturing, Public Assembly, etc.)
  • Engine Company Inspections on Commercial Occupancies (General Housekeeping, Pre-Fire Planning, Emergency Contact Information)
  • Plan Reviews New Construction ( Site Access, Hydrant Location, Fire Alarm and Suppression Systems)

Fire Prevention

What are the regulations covering open burning in Layton City?
Open Burning Regulations
City, County and State laws regulate open Burning in Layton City. Burning in Davis County as a whole is limited to agricultural burning or a recreational fire as defined below. To qualify for agricultural open burning you must have 2 acres of farmland, which is used for crop growth or have a fruit orchard with 25 or more fruit trees. Agricultural open burning is limited to organic items, which are incidental, and essential to the agricultural operation "NO TRASH OR YARD WASTE". An example of items which may be burned are: fence lines on cultivated property, stubble fields, ditch banks, weeds when clearing land to be planted and trimmings from fruit trees when in conjunction with an orchard. State law requires that farmers who are going to burn those items notify the nearest fire department prior to burning. Layton City requires that you notify the fire department at (336-3940) and provide them with the start and end times of the burn, an address where the burning will occur, the name and a phone number of the responsible party for the burn and the materials that you will be burning. In addition, Layton City limits open burning to daylight hours and on days that the clean air index, provided by The Davis County Health Department, allows. All agricultural fires must be kept a minimum of 50 feet from structures. The responsible party must have a water supply or other means to control the fire. The fire must be constantly attended until completely out.

Layton City Fire Guidelines

Burning Allowed with Notification:

Camp Fires or recreational or cooking fires:
  • Must be clean dry wood
  • Must be kept under 3’ in diameter
  • Must be kept under 2’ in pile height
  • Must be kept a minimum 25’ from all structures and other combustibles
  • Must be constantly attended by a person eighteen years of age or older
  • Must have bucket of water hose or other means to extinguish
  • Must be used solely for cooking or recreational purposes
  • Must own the property or have written permission to kindle the fire
Agricultural Burning:
  • Must have 2 acres of cultivated land or a fruit orchard of 25 or more fruit trees
  • Must be incident to and essential to the agricultural operation
  • Must be constantly attended
  • To be conducted during daylight hours only
  • Must have means to extinguish or control the fire
  • Must be kept a minimum of 50’ from all structures
  • Must comply with air quality index (except for ditch banks, cannel banks, fence lines on cultivated land. They are still asked to comply with air quality index)
  • When any of the above burning is creating a public hazard the on duty fire officer may have the fire extinguished. When weather or other conditions make burning a hazard, such as winds etc. The officer on duty may deny all burning requests.
Does Layton City Fire Department provide fire prevention services?
Layton Fire Department has an ongoing prevention program at the schools. The Department provides educational programs to preschools, babysitters, scouts, and other businesses requiring fire extinguisher training. These services are provided during the day or at special request by appointment only. The Kendal O. Bryant Fire Prevention Open House is held the 1st Wednesday in October at Fire Station 1.
Do buildings in Layton City require any approval from the Fire Department?
Layton Fire Department has a full-time Fire Marshal and a full-time Fire Inspector. Their duties include inspection of buildings during the site plan phase, the building phase, and the maintenance of the building throughout its life. Fire inspections are carried out on an ongoing routine basis with special attention paid to new buildings.

Fire Station 4

Why do we need another fire station?
  1. Public safety. Public safety is Layton City’s first priority. Since the last station was built in 1998, the City’s population has increased by 21,000 residents. The call volume to emergency personnel has also increased. There were 6,411 incidents in 2018, and it’s estimated that that number will top 7,000 in 2019. This is a 189 percent increase since 1998.
  2. Response time. The area that will be served by the new fire station experiences the longest response time from the current fire stations. In 2018, the average total response time was nine minutes for the identified area. With the new fire station, response time will decrease by three to five minutes to about four to six minutes average total response time. In an emergency, minutes can save lives.
  3. Wildland-urban interface. In the foothills area, fires burn quickly, especially during the hot summer months. As fires increase, this puts east side residents at risk. A fire station located nearby means crews can reach the fires sooner so they can be contained more quickly. This can not only protect lives and save homes, but can also reduce the negative environmental impact from fire.
How much will this fire station cost?

The current cost is estimated at $3.7 million. The City has been budgeting for this, and has saved $2.5 million. The revenue from the propsed increase will provide the final amount needed for the station, along with the initial operating costs, which includes personnel. The land on which the station will be built is already owned by the City. There will not be any additional equipment costs.

What Has the City Done to Minimize the Costs For the Station?

Below is a comparison between the costs of purchasing property, constructing the station, and the first year of operation for what a comparable fire station would have been, and what it will be due to the City’s planning:

Expenses for Construction and First Year Operation if Starting Today: Costs of Construction and First Year Operation with Planning Ahead:
$1,700,000Purchase of Land$0*
3,700,000Building Construction1,200,000**
950,000Acquire ambulance, fire engine, brush truck, and equipment0***
1,100,000Personnel and equipment1,100,000

By exercising a sound fiscal policy and by anticipating needs, the City has reduced the costs of this project by over $5,000,000.

*The City acquired the underlying property through an exchange for property it has owned for several years.
**The City has been budgeting for this station, and has saved $2,500,000 for its construction.
*** And in anticipation of growth, the City has acquired, maintained and refurbished firefighting and paramedic equipment for this station.

If I don’t live near the new fire station, how will it benefit me?

A reduced response time will benefit the entire City by increasing the availability of resources. If multiple emergencies occur at once, or if there is a large-scale emergency in any part of the city, the new station can provide additional resources to other areas.

What will the new station look like? Where will it be located?

The new station will be located near 1400 North Valley View Drive. The City is currently reviewing plans. View for more details.

How much does the City propose raising taxes? How will this affect my household?

The tax rate would change from 0.001424 to 0.001780. While that is a twenty-five percent (25%) increase, the actual result is an increase of $5.06 per month on a $310,000 home, or $60.70 annually.

Isn’t there another way to raise the money besides taxes?

The City considered a bond to raise funds; however, issuing a bond would only cover the one-time cost of building the station and doesn’t cover the ongoing costs of personnel and operations. With the tax increase added to the money the City has already set aside in previous years, the increase in funds will ensure the City can afford to build the new station and keep it operating in the future.

With the cost of housing and construction rising so dramatically, why do you have to build the new station now?

As people move to Davis County from neighboring areas, more emergency services are required to accommodate the increasing population. The costs of these services are rising higher than the rate of inflation. Public safety is our #1 priority. Our goal is to reach an average total response time of less than five minutes. In order to reach that goal, another fire station is necessary. The area's growth and increased call volume reflect that the need is now.

Some of Layton City’s utility costs are higher than in some other cities. Are these increased costs really justified considering how much we’re already paying for utilities, etc.?

Compared to other cities, the cost of utilities in Layton City is lower than average. Across the state, the average monthly utility rate for water, sewer, storm, and garbage is $96.72. Layton City’s average monthly cost for the same utilities is $87.39.

Why is Layton raising taxes this year? Are other cities doing the same?

Neighboring cities that have raised taxes recently include Bountiful in 2018, Kaysville in 2014, Syracuse in 2017 and 2018, and Ogden every year since 2016. In addition to the Davis School District, Kaysville, South Weber, Syracuse, and West Point are all considering a tax rate increase this year.

And, for the past two years, Layton City’s tax rate has actually decreased. Layton City adopted the certified tax rate established by Davis County and the Utah State Tax Commission in 1987, and although Layton City’s population has approximately doubled since that time, the City hasn’t raised taxes since then.

My street is in serious need of repair. Why is the fire station a priority right now when I’d rather see the City spend money to fix other infrastructure problems or traffic issues? And are you ever going to address those?

We recognize there are other projects that are important to our residents. We have plans to address many issues in the future; however, based on demand public safety is our highest priority. For right now, we’d like to keep the tax increase as low as possible. If you have concerns about other issues, we encourage you to attend City Council meetings or to contact Layton City.

Last year, the City’s tax rate decreased. And now you’re raising them? Was it just a political ploy so you could hit us with an increase this year?

The back-to-back decreases and then the proposed increase should demonstrate the City’s fiscal practices of receiving only what it needs. The City keeps taxes as low as practical to ease taxpayers’ burdens and then only proposes an increase when necessary. As the need for another fire station became clear, the City proposed raising taxes to address that need.

My taxes keeping going up as my home’s value increases. Aren’t increasing home values enough to support a new fire station?

While property taxes generally increase when the value of the home/property increase, that is not so with the City's portion of the property tax. The City is only allowed to budget the same amount of property tax revenue as the year before (with exceptions for new construction). Although other entities may raise the amount they receive through tax revenue, the City has not done so before, and if it does, it must notify the public and hold public hearings, as it has done here.

Why Not Bond for the New Station?

While bonding is a common method for funding projects, it is best used for construction projects, and, as in this instance would take care of the one-time costs to build the station. However, the bonding would not take care of the on-going costs of the personnel needed for the station, and it would not take care of the continuing maintenance and operation of the building. Using bonding only would be like borrowing to build or buy a new home and not budgeting for the maintenance, electrical, natural gas, water, sewer, insurance premiums, etc.

Again, while bonding for the new station itself would be a viable option, it would not provide the revenue necessary for the on-going operations of the station.

Why Not Use Impact Fees to Build the New Station?

We are. A significant portion of the money saved for the building is from the City’s collecting of a public safety impact fee. However, the law limits the amount of the impact fee the City can collect and it limits which expenses can be covered by impact fees.

First, the amount of an impact fee is specifically limited to the identifiable costs that new development will create for public safety. The formula the law requires the City use shows the need for a new station is not created solely by new development. For example, the simple but significant increase in commuter traffic has increased the demand for emergency medical services, and that increase is not attributed to growth in the City. Additionally, the need for a more timely response to the wildland-urban interface area is not solely driven by new development.

Second, impact fees can only be used for buildings and identified equipment, and cannot be used for personnel costs. While the City is collecting and effectively using impact fees, those fees – and the limitations imposed on the use thereon – make them insufficient to address the entire need.

How Much of My Property Taxes Go To Layton City?

Approximately 11.31% of your property taxes go to Layton City. Under the proposed increase, it would be approximately 13.75%.

How long will construction take?

The City will not have a precise timeline available until after the bidding process. Once the City has that information, it will make it available to the public.

I have concerns about the details of the fire station and the 2019-2020 budget. How can I make sure my concerns get heard?

Layton City has created a website,, where you can gather information. If you have more questions or concerns, you may attend the upcoming Open House on July 31 from 6 to 8 pm at 530 North 2200 West or one of the upcoming council meetings. See the council meeting schedule at

What are your long-term plans for fire protection as Layton City continues to grow?

Just as the City acquired the property for Station 4 several years ago, the City has already acquired property for two future stations. One of those will be a relocation of an existing station, and the other will be a new station, Station 5. No timeline has been established for the construction of either of these.

The planned relocation is for the City’s oldest station, located at 199 North Fort Lane. This station was built in 1970 and was not constructed to accommodate full-time staffing. At the time of its original construction, the Fire Department was an all-volunteer service, and was not staffed 24 hours a day until 1981. To house and accommodate full-time staffing, the station has had to undergo numerous modifications and remodels. As we continue to add personnel and responsibilities to each station, this building is no longer able to meet those requirements.

With the construction of the new Intermountain Layton Hospital, Layton City acquired property on Layton Parkway suitable for the relocation of this fire station. This site is an ideal location for our inter-facility transfers from the hospital, and for incidents on and to the west of Interstate 15. Because this existing station is currently staffed, its relocation represents a capital investment with no added ongoing personnel costs.

Although the timeline for the construction has not been established, the property for Station 5 has been in City ownership since 1999. It is located at 1872 North Layton Hills Parkway, just north of the Davis Conference Center. This station will service the northwest portion of the City and its increasing residential and commercial uses. It will also serve as a critical link with the other stations in the City.

Government Records

How can I get copies of Council meeting minutes?
Council minutes are available at
When are Council meetings held?
Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the City Center Building, 437 N. Wasatch Dr.
Can I receive copies of Council meeting agendas?
Yes; subscribe at

Heritage Museum

When was the museum opened?
The Heritage Museum was conceived as a Bicentennial project and the doors of the museum opened in 1980. Currently, the museum has 7,200 square feet of display space.
What type of museum is the Heritage Museum?
The Heritage Museum is a historical museum. Exhibits and permanent displays tell the story of the early social, economic, and cultural development of Northern Davis County.
How did the Layton street get the name Gentile?
Several early Layton settlers were not members of the LDS Church. Consequently, these settlers were referred to as Gentiles. Since the Gentiles tended to live near each other the street where they built homes and a Protestant church became known as Gentile Street.
I have some old things in my garage. Can I donate them to the museum?
The museum takes donations if they apply to the mission of the museum. Anyone interested in making a donation can contact the museum curator by calling (801) 336-3930.

Human Resources

Who will see my application if I use the online application process?

All information is maintained on a secure web server. Only authorized City Staff will have access.

What information will I be asked to provide?

You will be asked to provide personal information such as name, address, phone number, etc. You will also be asked to provide information about your education, employment history, and references. An e-mail address will also be required. You will shorten the time it takes to complete your application if you gather this information before beginning the online process.

What if I do not have a computer or access to the web?

Layton City accepts only online applications. If you do not have access to a computer you may come to the Layton City Management Services office located at 437 North Wasatch Drive, Layton, UT 84041, between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

Computers are available at public libraries for you to access. Family and friends may also have Internet access available for you to use.

Do I need an e-mail account to set up a “user account” to apply online?

YES. IMPORTANT! User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person or e-mail address. Multiple applications with multiple users and e-mail addresses may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions you apply for.

What if I don't have an e-mail account?

To apply online you must create an e-mail account. There are a number of free e-mail services available to the general public.

How do I set up a “user account” to apply online?

Use the Online Registration to create your user account.

Remember to keep a record of your username and password once you have set up an account. If you need to apply for other positions or check the status of your application, you will need to input this information exactly as it was originally entered.

How do I create my application and how long will it take?

On average, allow approximately 30-45 minutes to complete your application. We encourage you to complete each part of the application in detail. You can add additional work history and education as needed. Please start with most recent experience/educational information when prioritizing your information. Each time you input information, you will need to click on the Save & View Application button. If the system is inactive over 30 minutes, it will automatically log you off and will only keep information from the last time you clicked on the Save & View Application.

How do I save my information?

If at any time you need to exit the application, click the Save & View button at the bottom of the form. All of the information that you have inputted up to that point will be stored. You can return to your application later by logging into your account with your username and password.

Can I submit a resume?

You may either attach or cut and paste a resume into your application. Please note that submitting a resume does not substitute for completing the entire application form. Incomplete applications may be eliminated from consideration for employment.

If the job requires a Certified Type Test, where can I take one?

If a typing test is required, you must obtain a certified type test from Layton City or other verifiable source within the last 6 months (internet tests are not acceptable). Typing tests can be taken at the Layton City Human Resources office located at 437 North Wasatch Drive, Layton, UT 84041, between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Type tests must be submitted before the closing date.

How can I verify that my application has been received?

If you submitted electronically, you will receive an e-mail confirmation shortly after submission. To verify the positions you’ve submitted applications for, login using you user ID and password. Then click on Application Status to review the status of your submitted applications. All application materials (including resumes and supplemental documentation) must be received by the posted close time and date. Late application materials will not be considered. The Human Resources Division is not responsible for failure of other agencies, internet service providers or postal services to forward applications by the deadline.

What if I am interested in a position that is not currently on the City job list?

If you wish to receive notification when a job you are interested in becomes available, click on the Job Notification Request.

How can I get assistance in completing my application?

You can request assistance at the Layton City Human Resources office located at 437 North Wasatch Drive, Layton, UT. You may also call the Layton City Human Resources office at (801) 336-3820 during business hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

How do I change my address, phone or e-mail information?

You may login to Layton City Jobs Online and make the changes to your master profile. You may also contact the Human Resources Division at (801) 336-3820 during business hours of 8:00 am –5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

How can I review the status of recruitment, my account or application?

To check on the status of a particular recent recruitment, log in and then click on Application Status to see the status of your submitted applications.

Do I have to submit a separate application for each open job?

Yes. However, once you create an account, you may build an application and submit that application for multiple jobs by clicking on the ‘Populate’ button to automatically populate the new application with information from your previously created application. Review and update your application as necessary. Once your account is created, applying for open recruitments is quick and easy.

Will I automatically be considered for other positions if I previously submitted an application?

No. Each time we list a job opportunity and you are still interested in being considered you should apply. To ensure you will be considered for other positions, watch our Job Opportunities site of fill in a Job Notification Request. You must submit a separate application for all positions you are interested in.

How will I know when Layton City is hiring for a specific job?

You may complete a Job Notification Request to register for notification of specific job titles. When a position with that title is posted, you will receive an e-mail notification at the e-mail address your provided within your application account.

I missed the deadline – can I still apply?

No. As with any position, once a closing date has passed, no application will be accepted or considered. Please continue to visit the Layton City website and apply for new jobs as they become available. You may also want to complete a Job Notification Request to automatically be notified when a position you are interested in becomes available.

What benefits does Layton City offer?

General Employee Benefits

Fire Fighter Benefits

Sworn Police Officer Benefits

How will I be contacted regarding the status of the position I applied for?
Based on your selection of preferred notification choice, you will received results by e-mail or U.S. mail.
Does Layton City participate in E-Verify?

Yes, Layton City does participate in E-Verify.
E-Verify is an Internet-based system operated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically compares information entered on the Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9, with records contained in SSA and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) databases to help employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees. Down below you will find the Right to Work and the E-Verify Participation posters in an English and Spanish version.


When are the city parks open?
All city parks are open from 5:00am to 11:00pm.  All scheduled games and facility lighting turn off at 11:00pm.
Does the city provide trash receptacles in public parks?
Trash cans are provided in restrooms only. Therefore, you are asked to take any garbage with you when you leave the park. If trash is left in parks, then the park staff has to take time from other park duties to clean up garbage, thus diminishing the overall quality of city parks. “Pack it in and pack it out” is a good rule of thumb in Layton’s parks.
Are Dogs allowed in the Parks? Which Ones?
Dogs are allowed on leash ONLY and in all Parks except for Ellison Park and Layton Commons Park
Does Andy Adams Reservoir allow swimming or boats?

No swimming allowed.  No motorized vehicles allowed on the water.

Does Hobbs Reservoir allow swimming or boats?
No swimming. No motorized watercraft allowed on the reservoir except to a prior leasee who may use the reservoir for water-skiing on Tuesday, Fridays and if no angles are present on Saturdays. Signs will indicate this agreement.
Does Holmes Creek Reservoir allow swimming or boats?
No boating, floating, or swimming.
Do I have to have a pass for any of the reservoirs?

Hobbs Reservoir is a walk in access and sign in is required along with fishing license.  Andy and Holmes Reservoir fishing license are required.

When do we reserve pavilions?

Park pavilions are available for rental May 1 - September 30.

What Pavilions have BBQ’s at them?

Oak Forest Park, Woodward Park, Sandridge Park, Andy Adams Park, Chapel Park, Ellison Park, Vae View Park, and Chelsie Meadows Park.

When is the Ellison Splash Pad open?
Memorial Day to Labor day 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Am I allowed to drink/serve alcohol in the parks?
No alcoholic beverages are allowed in any park.
Can I bring food trucks or bounce houses to the park?

Permits are needed prior to bringing food trucks into the parks.  Bounce houses REQUIRE high risk insurance and approval prior to using them in parks.  Special event applications are needed in order to bring food trucks and bounce houses.

You MUST submit a Special Event Application before using either of these in Layton City Parks (

Planning & Zoning

What is the zone of a property?

The zone of a property can be identified using the Interactive Zoning Map. In the search field type in the address or the Tax ID without dashes.

Where can I find setback and lot requirements for a specific zone?
Table 5-1 and Table 5-2 shows the required setbacks and lot requirements for zones within Layton City
How can I find out what trees are allowed in the park strip?
View the Permitted Street Trees table to see the allowed trees in park strips
How can I get informed about Planning Commission meeting agenda items?

Planning Commission is held the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month. Agendas are posted on the City’s website the Friday before the Planning Commission meeting. You can view the agendas by going to the Government and clicking on Planning Commission Meetings, then clicking the Agenda/Minutes tab or click here.

How can I find out what the parking requirements are for a certain type of business?
You can find parking requirements under Title 19.12 Off Street Parking
Am I allowed to have chickens?

Properties with at least 8,000 square feet and that are in a single-family zone or an agricultural zone (R-1-6, R-1-8, R-1-10, R-S, and A Zones) are permitted to have chickens and/or ducks. The total number of chickens or ducks permitted for each property is based on the lot size and can be found in the Residential Chicken & Duck Handout or in the 19.06.080 of the Layton City Municipal Code. A one-time permit is required for properties within the R-1-6, R-1-8, R-1-10, and R-S zones. Click Here to apply for a permit. Chickens and/or ducks are required to be kept inside a coop/pen/ or run, at all times.

-         Coop/Pen/Run Requirements

  • Shall not be taller than 7'
  • Shall be restricted to the rear or backyard of a residential use
  • Shall be enclosed with a fence, this is in addition to the pen/coop
  • Properties with less than 20,000 square feet:
    • 120 square feet max pen size
    • Must be setback 5' from side and rear property lines
  • Properties with over 20,000 square feet or more:
    • Pens up to 120 square feet must be seetback 5' from side and rear property lines
    • Pens over 120 square feet must be setback 10' from side and rear property lines

What do the zoning abbreviations stand for?

Zoning Districts and Classification Established

A Agriculture
R-S Residential Suburban
R-1 Single Family Residential
R-2 Single and Two Family Residential
R-MH Mobile Home Parks & Subdivisions
R-M1 Low/Medium Density Residential
R-M2 Medium Density Residential
R-H High Density Residential
B-RP Business and Research Park
PB Professional Office
CP-1 Planned Neighborhood Commercial
CP-2 Planned Community Commercial
CP-3 Planned Regional Commercial
C-TH Condominium/Townhouse
C-H Planned Highway Commercial
M-1 Light Manufacturing/Industrial
M-2 Heavy Manufacturing/Industrial
MU-TOD Mixed-Use – Transit Oriented Development

Where can I locate my Business?
How many dogs/cats can I have?

19.06.070 – Household Pets

You can have 2 dogs or cats or combination thereof. In addition, a conditional use permit can be issued for a seeing-eye, search and rescue, or other aid dog. The aid dog must be certified to serve in the capacity intended by an independent and qualified agency.

How can I get a kennel license for my home?

A private kennel is 3+ dogs/cats at a home. Private Kennels are only permitted in the Agriculture and R-S zone with a minimum 1 acre lot size and must receive a conditional use permit from the planning commission. Here is link to the conditional use application.

Can I have rabbits, goats, pigs, horses or other farm animals?

Animals normally associated with being kept outdoors and/or normally associated with agricultural areas such as horses, cows, goats, sheep, pigs, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, or other farm animals are not permitted in single family neighborhoods.

Farm Animals are allowed in the (A) and (R-S) zones, the R-S zone require a minimum lot size of 20,000 square feet for farm animals.

Layton City Municipal Code: 19.06.080 (1)

“…Not more than one (1) cow or horse and two (2) sheep or goats and twenty−five (25) pheasants or chickens, or rabbits, or pigeons; and ten (10) geese or ducks, for every twenty thousand (20,000) square feet of lot area. Animals and fowl not specifically listed may be substituted for those listed of similar size. Combinations of animals and fowl are also allowed within the numbers listed for each category. A increase in this density is allowed only by a conditional use permit for a farm industry as set forth in this Title”.

How do I request a zoning verification letter?

If the request is just to verify information such as the zoning, and if the property is in compliant with building and zoning regulations you can make the request over the phone and a staff member will write a letter and email it back to the requester.

If you are requesting documents such as copies of the Certificate Occupancy, building permits, plans, etc. you may fill out a Records Request (GRAMA Form) and the request will be processed through the City Recorder.

Can I build my fence right up to the side walk?

Fences can be placed right up to the property line; the property line generally will be exactly behind the sidewalk, ½ foot behind the sidewalk, or 1 foot behind the sidewalk. To determine which configuration you have please call the Community and Economic Development Department and speak with a planner.

Where can I place my fence?

The Fencing Regulations handout outlines the location of permitted fencing around the boundaries of a residential lot. In addition, all fencing must meet Clearview requirements. Fences located in Clear View must not be taller than 2’ or must be 75% open. 

How tall can my fence be in a residential area?

Front yard max height: 7’
Side and rear yard max height: 8’ (over 7’ requires a building permit)
Privacy (solid) fence is permitted in the front, side and rear yards with exception to Clear View regulations.

How do I find my property lines?

Property lines can be identified through the Ownership Plats or Dedication Plats show the property line measurements.  Sometimes there are surveyor monuments (pins at corners, or in the curb) that indicate where a surveyor has marked the property line corners.  A surveyor may be required to identify property corners and place pins (Layton City does not provide this service).

Can I trim my neighbor’s tree?

If the tree crosses private property lines, the adjacent property can trim the tree branches back to the property line.  

Tree planting requirements near power line easements?

Utah Power & Light Co = Rocky Mountain Power  (Rocky Mountain Power Tips & Illustrated Guides) 

Additional questions should be referred to them directly.

What are the zoning requirements for putting an accessory structure (i.e. shed or detached garage) on my property?

For accessory structures that are 200 square feet or less residents must fill out the Accessory Structure Permit Review form and have it approved by a Planner from the Community & Economic Development department.  In general the Accessory Structure Permit can be approved over the counter and there is not a fee.

A building permit is required for structures over 200 square feet; applicants will need to fill out a building permit and provide construction drawings, structural calculations, site plan and energy code compliance form. The building permit can be filled out online HERE, additional documents will have to be submitted in person to the Community & Economic Development Department.


Do I need to cover my trash on the way to the landfill?
Yes. All loads need to be covered on the way to the landfill.

Police Records

Can I get a copy of a police report?

In order to comply with Utah State Law, requests for police reports are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Requests may be started online by filling out an Online Record Request Form or they may be made in person at the Records Division, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding legal holidays.  Requests received via mail will also only be considered if the signature on the request is notarized.

Valid government issued photo ID or notarization of identity is required in order for records to be released, regardless of the method used to request the record.

In order to process the request, you will be asked to provide the following information: Your identity, case number (if known), address of occurrence, date of occurrence, parties involved and type of report.

There is a $5.00 fee for up to 10 pages and $0.25 for each additional page of each report.  If photos are requested, the photos may be copied to a CD for $10.00 or prints may be made.  The cost for prints of photos is $10.00 for up to 10 photos and $2.00 per additional photo.

Most requests can be processed within 10 days of receipt.

Online Record Request Form

Can I get a copy of a traffic accident report?
In accordance with Utah State Law, accident reports can be released to:
  1. A person involved in the accident, excluding witnesses;
  2. A person suffering loss or injury in the accident;
  3. A parent or legal guardian of a minor involved in the accident;
  4. An agent of a person involved in the accident (attorney, insurer or other entity, or an individual with written permission);
  5. A state, local or federal agency that uses the records for official governmental investigative or accident prevention purposes;
  6. Law enforcement personnel when acting in their official capacities;
  7. Licensed private investigators when acting in their official capacities.

Requests can be started online by filling out an Online Record Request Form or you can make your request in person at the Records Division, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding legal holidays. Valid government issued photo ID or notarization of identity is required in order for records to be released, regardless of the method used to request the record.  Requests received via mail will also only be considered if the signature on the request is notarized.

There is a $5.00 charge for up to 10 pages and $0.25 for each additional page of each report. If photos were taken, the photos may be copied to a CD for $10.00 or prints may be made.  The cost for prints of photos is $10.00 for up to 10 photos and $2.00 per additional photo.

Online Record Request Form

Where can I go to get fingerprints?
Layton Police Department provides fingerprinting services to residents of Layton, or employees of Layton businesses that require fingerprints by law, such as automobile dealerships, medical care facilities, financial institutions, etc. Residents must provide proof of residency with either government issued photo ID with name and address, or utility bill with name and address. Employees of Layton businesses must provide proof of employment with either a letter on company letterhead verifying that the person requesting fingerprints is employed by the business and must be fingerprinted for employment, or a business card with the name of the person requesting fingerprints and the business address printed on the card.

Services are generally offered Tuesdays and Thursdays between 2:00 P.M. and 4:00 P.M. However, days and times may be temporarily adjusted for holidays or unforeseen circumstances. The cost is $15.00 for up to three fingerprint cards and $5.00 for every card thereafter.

Individuals who need fingerprinting that do not meet these requirements can contact their local police department to see if they offer these services, or contact the Bureau of Criminal Identification. Information on the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification can be found at

Risk Management

Who should I notify if I become aware of bad potholes, downed or obstructed traffic control devices, missing or unsecured water meter or manhole lids, or any other potentially hazardous condition on City property?
Citizens should notify police dispatch immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (801) 497-8300 of any unsafe condition they become aware of that involves City property.
How do I file a claim against the City for damages alleged to be caused by the City?
Refer to the City’s website under “Departments”, “Management Services”, “Risk Management”, “File a Claim” to download a claim form, or visit the Management Services department on the lower level of the Layton City Center to obtain a claim form. You will be instructed to complete the claim form, have it notarized, and submit it through the City Recorder’s office to the Management Services department.

Secondary Water

Which company provides secondary water to my home?

Click to view the secondary water map

Areas shaded on the map represent the following three secondary water service areas within Layton City:

  • Blue = Weber Basin
  • Green = Kays Creek Irrigation
  • Red = Davis and Weber Counties Canal Company
I would like to report a leak or pressure problem on my secondary system. Who do I contact?

It depends on which secondary water company is in your area. First, check the secondary water service area map and determine the provider.  Then contact the appropriate company as listed below:

  • Weber Basin secondary service area -- contact Layton City Public Works Shop at (801) 336-3720 or submit an online leak or problem
  • Kays Creek Irrigation service area -- contact Kays Creek Irrigation at (801) 941-2010
  • Davis and Weber Counties Canal Company service area – call Davis and Weber Counties Canal Company at (801) 774-6373
Why does my secondary water system have low pressure?

Most secondary water systems have filters that need to be cleaned periodically by the home or business owner.  Check that your filter is cleaned regularly.  Also refer to the following guidance from Weber Basin’s website:

My secondary water system is leaking in my yard. Who is responsible for fixing it?

Refer to the following info from Weber Basin’s website to determine typical ownership.

Can I connect to the secondary water system in my area?

Please contact the secondary water company directly to discuss connection opportunities.  Check that your location is within a secondary water service area by using the following map.

When will the secondary water system be turned on?

Secondary water is scheduled to be fully operational by April 15th. We begin the process of filling the system three to four days prior to April 15th; please ensure your valves are off before then to help prevent property damage and wasting water.

When will the secondary water be turned off?

Secondary water will be shut off October 15. There may be residual water in the system for a few days until it's fully drained.


What is Smart911?
Smart911 is a free service that allows residents to create a Safety Profile for their household that includes any information they want 9-1-1 to have in the event of an emergency. Then, when anyone in that household dials 9-1-1 from a phone associated with their Safety Profile, their profile is immediately displayed to the 9-1-1 call taker providing additional information that can be used to facilitate the proper response to the proper location. At a time when seconds count, being able to provide 9-1-1 with all details that could impact response the second an emergency call is placed could be the difference between life and death.
Where is Smart911?
Smart911 is available in Layton, and hundreds of communities across the U.S. Layton is the first community in Utah to adopt the program.
Who can sign up for Smart911?
Anyone can register a Safety Profile. Some people that will find Smart911 especially valuable are families with children, elderly and seniors, those who are deaf, hard of hearing, or blind, families with autistic members, those with physical or developmental disabilities, people with allergies or other medical conditions, and pet owners.
How do I sign up? Does it cost anything?
Visit to set up a Safety Profile. The service is free to residents. The process is easy, and only takes a few minutes. Registration includes filling out a form on the website and validating each phone on the Safety Profile with a text message or phone call. Information in the Safety Profile can be updated by you at any time.
Is my information private and secure? Will it be used for anything else?
Yes. Your privacy is important to us. Your information is made available ONLY to 9-1-1 call takers and responders ONLY in the event you call 9-1-1. Smart911 utilizes the highest standards in physical and computer security technologies and conducts regular audits to ensure all information held in Smart911 is kept secure. Smart911 does not sell or share information from the Safety Profile with any other party.
What kind of phones can I register?
All phone types including land line, cell, and VoIP can use Smart911. Calls placed from any phone associated with the Smart911 Safety Profile will display your information to the 9-1-1 call taker.
What can I do if I have other questions?
Visit for more frequently asked questions, contact Karl Kuehn at Layton Police, 801-336-3507, or email


If I see a downed traffic sign or traffic light what should I do?
Call Public Works at 336-3720 during regular business hours or Police Dispatch at 497-8300 after hours, on weekends or on holidays.
What are the priorities for snow removal?

The City has established the following priorities for snow removal.

Priority 1: Primary traffic streets are usually known as arterials. Arterial streets are determined to be the high volume, minimum network which must be kept open to provide the basic transportation system serving the high volume streets, hazardous intersections, hospitals, fire stations, police stations, schools and other “safety sensitive” areas within the City.

Collector streets are the basic networks covering the major traffic streets. Included are selected critical steep grade streets, access to schools and critical commercial areas.

Priority 2: Secondary and residential routes are selected minor arterial, secondary intersections, collectors, bus routes and residential neighborhood streets deemed desirable to be maintained as time and storm duration permit.

Priority 3: Remaining city streets, accesses or unpaved roadways

Please Note:
It is not the position of the City of Layton to maintain a bare pavement policy or to provide snow and ice removal on every City Street during or after every snowstorm. Therefore, after periods in which the movement of traffic has occurred, snowplows are not as effective for totally clearing packed snow or icy roadways. Temperatures, storm duration and intensity have a profound effect on the ability of snowplows to clear streets and for salt to melt the snow and ice.

Surf 'n Swim

Will the pool close due to lightning even with the bubble on?

Yes, the pool will close when lightning is 8 miles away from our facility to insure the safety of the patrons.  It does not matter if the bubble is on because the bubble has large metal cables that go across the top of the bubble, which would act as conductors for the lightning making it even more dangerous to be inside the bubble.

The bubble is not protected from lightning strikes and is therefore considered an outdoor pool.

Current operating procedure is as follows; At the first signs of lightning or thunder, the pool(s) will be evacuated. If the staff sees lightning, hears thunder or the lightning detector indicates a strike closer than 8 miles; the pool(s), surrounding deck and grassy areas will be cleared. The pool(s) will remain cleared for at least 30 minutes after the last observed lightning or thunder. Patrons should leave the pool(s) and the surrounding area. Seek shelter inside the lobby and racquetball area.

Does Surf ‘n Swim offer private swim lessons?

At this time, we do not offer private swim lessons in our facility.  We offer a very comprehensive public swimming lesson program, which covers the needs of nearly all individuals in our community.

When is Surf ‘n Swim concession area open?

During the summer months (June - August), you are able to use our concession areas from 12pm to 6:45pm Monday through Sunday.

Can we bring in outside food?
You are allowed to bring in outside food.  We do ask that you do not use class containers or bring in any alcohol please.  During the winter months, we do not allow lighted candles on cakes due to the bubble being on the pool.
Can we bring our own tubes if we don’t rent yours?
We do not allow any outside tubes in our facility except the small baby tubes that have feet holes in the bottom of the tube to allow safety for toddlers.
When does Surf n Swim shut down for bubble week?

We usually shut down for the bubble to be removed off the pool the second week of May for one week unless we have extensive maintenance to be performed on the pool area.  We also shut down for one week in the month of September (usually the second week) for the bubble to be put back over the pool.

Does Surf ‘n Swim have waves you can surf on?
We have three patterns of waves in our pool.  In the deep end we have cresting waves that go up and down, they graduate to a rolling wave in the middle of the pool and then in the shallow area of the pool we have small breaking waves which travel to the zero depth area of our pool.
Can we rent a room/tables for parties?

We do not at this time have a designated party room in our facility.  We do have areas on the pool deck that have picnic tables and chairs to allow you to enjoy your birthday parties.  They are used at a first come first served basis.

Can we rent the facility for private parties?

Yes, Summer reservations June - August, Monday - Saturday 7-10pm. Winter reservations September - May, Saturdays 7-10pm.

Do we have to pay if we are not swimming?

During the winter if you are not swimming, you do not have to pay to come in to watch or participate in activities.  In the summer months, we do ask if you are coming in and have a swimming suit on to enjoy the sun or the facility then you would be required to pay the entrance fee.  


Does a adult have to be in the facility with their children?

Any child coming to the facility who is five years or younger must have an adult within arm’s reach of them at all times. 

If the child is six years to eight years old they have to have an adult in the facility with them. 

If the child is nine years and older they are fine to be in the facility by themselves.


Where can I see my billing history and water usage history?
You are able to see this information through your online account on the City’s website or through the Layton City app. Paper bills are also sent each month to those who have not signed up for electronic billing.
Where can I log into my City account on the website and where can I download the Layton City app?
The following link will lead to the City's website where one may register for an account. The Layton City app may be downloaded for Android or iOS. The same login information is used for each. You can also view your payment and usage history.
Should I monitor my water billing and usage?
Citizens can and should monitor their utility bills. This can be done by logging onto your account through the City's website or through the Layton City app. If the bill does not seem consistent for your circumstances, (i.e. either high or low for a given month) please contact Utility Billing at 801-336-3860, as soon as something unusual is noticed.
What are water bills based on?
The bill is based on the number of gallons - in thousands - of water used from one meter reading to the next. Meters are read once a month on or about the same day every month for each household.
Is my water meter reading an estimate?
Every meter is read every month. The City does not estimate reads on water meters, unless the meter is inaccessible. If the meter can't be read we use the base amount and make any adjustments on a following bill.
When is a late fee incurred on an account?
If a payment is not received by the due date, there is a $5 late payment fee and late notices are then mailed. Any account with an unpaid past due balance is subject to being shut off on or after the fourth Tuesday of the month the bill was due.
Why does my bill seem high when I only watered half the month?

Water Bill Summary Timeline

Water UsageSept. 10 - Oct. 10
Bill DateOct. 31
Bill DueDec. 5

Please reference the above timeline. There is a lag time between the reading of the meter and sending out the utility bills. The dates the meter was read can be reviewed by logging into your account through the City's website or the Layton City app.
What if I received a shut off notice in the mail?
The payment and the shut off notice may have crossed in the mail. To ensure there is not a problem please call our Utility Billing office at 801-336-3860.
Why did the City change the water rates?
As explained in the background information, the rate changes were enacted as a result of the Water Master Plan and Rate Study and to comply with State law. This study indicated that without a rate increase the system would not be sustainable financially or operationally.
Where can I find a breakdown of what the water funds are used for?
Citizens can review the water budget on page 3 of the adopted budget document on the City's website.
If the tiered pricing is a State mandate, how are other cities running on a flat rate pricing system?

Prior to October 2018, Layton City had flat rate pricing for consumption levels beyond the base rate. In order to comply with SB-28, from the 2016 Utah State Legislative session, the City adopted the statutory requirements.

If other similarly regulated water systems are still running under a flat rate pricing structure they are not in compliance with State law.

How was the base amount of water use determined?
Upon reviewing historical consumption rates it was determined the average household's indoor water use was less than 7,000 gallons per month. For those without access to secondary water, the average was less than 11,000 gallons per month.
I received a notification that water funds were being transferred to the General City Fund. What is this and why is it happening?
As part of its budget and notice process, the City has sent out a public notice informing the public that money is being transferred to the General Fund from the Water Fund. The amount transferred from the Water Fund to the General Fund is to reimburse the Water Fund’s overhead costs that were paid for by the General Fund. The City does not hire separate legal, financial, IT, human resource and planning personnel that work solely for the Water Fund. These individuals are paid out of the General Fund, and a percentage of their time is spent supporting water operations. The water utility is required to cover its share of these overhead costs. This is not abnormal and has been the case every year. These monies are a reimbursement to the General Fund. This is an accounting requirement to ensure that the water system is self-sustaining. Water funds are not used to supplement the General Fund.
What can be done to absorb some of the billing increase?
As with all utilities, the City advises that citizens adjust their usage to help offset increasing costs.
What has the City done to communicate the rate increase to the public?
In the eight months leading up to the summer 2019 watering season, the City sent out two rate increase notices, published a Layton Today newspaper article, implemented an app for consumers to see bills and notifications, posted several times on social media, and held several budget meetings discussing the rate increases.
What if there is an issue or concern about water rates and usage that needs to be communicated to the City?

Citizens are invited to contact the Utility Billing office at 801-336-3860, about water rates, bills, consumption or with other questions and concerns. The City also responds to all web feedback submitted on the City website.

Citizens are also invited to attend City Council meetings and address the Council directly during the citizens’ comments portion of the meeting, and during pertinent public hearings.

Victim Services

What is "crime victim reparations"?
Crime victim reparations is a federal compensation program funded by fines paid by criminal offenders. You may be eligible for this program if a police report has been filed.
What is "restitution"?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(11) defines restitution as full, partial or nominal payment for pecuniary damages to a victim including the accrual of interest from the time of sentencing, insured damages, and payment for expenses to a governmental entity for extradition or transportation and as further defined by law.
Who is considered a victim?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(14)(a) defines a victim as any person whom the court determines has suffered pecuniary damages as a result of a defendant's criminal activities. A victim does not include any codefendant in the defendant's criminal activities.
What is criminal activity?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(2) defines criminal activity as any offense of which the defendant is convicted or any other criminal conduct for which the defendant admits responsibility to the sentencing court with or without an admission of committing the criminal conduct.
What are pecuniary damages?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(6) defines pecuniary damages as all special damages, but not general damages, which a person could recover against the defendant in a civil action arising out of the facts or events constituting the defendant's criminal activities and includes the money equivalent of property taken, destroyed, broken, or otherwise harmed, and losses including earnings and medical expenses.
How do I apply for restitution?

Restitution must be requested through the criminal case. So, if restitution is needed for an item that was stolen, the request must be submitted through the theft case filed against the defendant.

Restitution can be requested through the prosecutor's victim advocate program. A formed called a "Victim Impact Statement" will be provided which needs to be completed, signed and returned with copies of receipts or other documents that support the claim.

If a victim advocate is not available in your area, restitution can also be requested by submitting a letter to the court that includes the court case number, the amount of restitution requested and copies of receipts or other documents that support the claim.

How does the court decide what to order for restitution?

Utah Code 77-38a-302

Utah Code states that the things to be considered in determining restitution are:

  • the cost of the damage or lost property
  • the cost of the medical and related professional services and devices
  • the cost of funeral and related services
  • the financial resources of the defendant
  • the ability of the defendant to pay
  • the rehabilitative effect on the defendant of the payment of restitution
  • other circumstances which the court deems relevant
If restitution is ordered to me, how do I collect it?

If restitution is ordered to be paid to you, the defendant will pay it to the court or through a probation agency. The court or probation agency will then forward a check to you for the amount paid.

If you do not receive payments as ordered, contact the court first and they can either tell you what the delay is, how to get the matter back on the court calendar for non-payment or who the probation agency is that should be collecting the restitution.

Is there any other way to get restitution for my medical bills without having to wait for the defendant to pay restitution?

Crime Victim Reparations is a federal compensation program funded by fines paid by criminal offenders. You may be eligible for this program if you are a victim of a crime against persons and if a police report has been filed.

For complete information on restitution, refer to Utah Code section 77-38a.


What should I do if I hear or see water running in the street or on my property?
Call Public Works at 336-3720 during regular business hours or Police Dispatch at 497-8300 after hours, on weekends or on holidays.
If I have water pressure problems what should I do?
You can start by checking your screens in your sinks to make sure they are not plugged. Then you might want to check your regulator, it should be located near your shutoff valve. If you have continued problems call Public Works at 336-3720.
My water service lateral has a leak in it. Who is responsible for repairing the leak?
The homeowner is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the entire water lateral, from the home to the connection point at the water meter.  Refer to the attached document for more information Service Lateral.  A Street Cut permit will be required to any repair that will impact the street right-of-way, which is 1-foot behind sidewalk.  If a leak is detected or maintenance of the water service lateral is needed, contact the Layton City Public Works Department at (801) 336-3720 for assistance in turning the water off to make necessary repairs.