City Attorney's Office

HomeCity Attorney's Office • Victim Services

Mission Statement

Our mission is to treat each victim and family member as an individual; to always remember that each case is unique and special; and to involve victims and the community in a restorative process that helps diminish the devastating impact of crime.

The Victim Services Program is the "human side" of the criminal justice system.

If you are a victim of an assault, theft, criminal mischief, domestic violence, lewdness or any other violent crime, you are not alone.

We can help with understanding the criminal justice system, identifying helpful community resources, making a claim for restitution, filing a Protective Order (PO) or Civil Stalking Injunction (CSI) for your protection, filing for assistance from Crime Victim Reparations, assisting and accompanying you to court hearings, etc.

If you have been the victim of a crime, contact Victim Services at (801) 336-3599.

Remember: No one is abusive 100% of the time.

Victim Assistance Programs

Layton Victim Advocates (801) 336-3599
Safe Harbor Crisis Advocates (801) 444-9161
Davis County Victim Advocates (801) 451-4300
Juvenile Court Advocates (801) 447-3951
Layton City Advocates (801) 336-3599


Safe Harbor Crisis Center (801) 444-3191
Hispanic Outreach Worker (801) 444-3191

Counseling & Support Groups

Davis Behavioral Health (801) 773-7060
Family Connection Center (801) 773-0712
Family Summit Foundation (801) 476-1127
Hill AFB Family Advocacy Center (801) 777-3497
LDS Social Services (801) 451-0475
Rape Crisis Line (888) 421-1100
Safe Harbor Crisis Center (801) 444-3191

Community Resources

Catholic Community Charities (801) 394-5944
Crime Victim Reparations (800) 621-7444
Davis Hospital (801) 825-9561
Dept. of Child and Family Services (DCFS) (801) 395-5900
Davis Food Bank (801) 771-4642
Housing Authority (801) 546-6142
Legal Aid (Attn: Michael Murphy) (801) 547-9274
Office of Recovery Services (801) 626-3475
Red Cross (801) 627-0000
United Way of Northern Utah (801) 399-5584
Utah Legal Services (800) 662-4245
VINE - Jail Notification System (877) 884-8463
WIC (801) 546-6924
Dept. of Workforce Services (801) 776-7800

Additional Information

Victim Impact Statement Form
Chart Of Relief Orders

If you are in an emergency situation call 9-1-1.

Domestic Violence

Getting help and/or getting out may mean getting a protective order.
There is no cost to obtain one.

To Qualify: Be at least 16 yrs of age, and ...

  • Have resided in the same residence together, or
  • Have been married to or had a child together, or
  • Are related by blood or marriage

Protection may include:

  • Restrained from committing abuse or domestic violence against you and your family members
  • No contact directly, indirectly, or by telephone
  • Stay away from home, work, school, daycare, etc.
  • Temporary custody of children, residence, automobile, personal property, etc.
  • Visitation schedule for children with third party or curbside pick up and/or drop off
  • Temporary child support

Domestic Violence Victims Have Rights Too!

  • Right to seek safe shelter
  • Right to be informed of court hearings
  • Right to obtain a copy of police report at no cost
  • Right to seek counseling

Characteristics of Abusive Behavior

  • Jealousy, Possessive, Controlling, Isolation
  • Unrealistic expectations
  • Blames other for problems - its always your fault if he/she hits you
  • Threatens to kill you, self, kids, pets
  • Throws things, Abusive to past partner
  • Finds forceful sex exciting, Easily insulted, Criticizes
  • Degrades, Humiliates, Curses, Calls you names
  • Cruel to children and/or animals
  • Rigid sex role expectations
  • Won't give you money
  • Doesn't allow you to make decisions
  • Controls who your friends are and where you can go

See Utah Code Annotated 77-38-1 et.seq. for a complete copy of the Victims' Bill of Rights.

Identity Fraud

Identity fraud is one of the fastest growing and most devastating crimes occurring in America today. According to the Federal Trade Commission, 27.3 million Americans have been victims of identity theft in the last five years. This statistic includes 9.9 million people in the last year alone.

The Identity Fraud Act Is Located In Utah Code Section 76-6-1101

It states: "A person is guilty of identity fraud when that person knowingly or intentionally: obtains personal identifying information of another person; and uses or attempts to use that information with fraudulent intent, including to obtain, or attempt to obtain, credit, goods, services, any other thing of value, or medical information in the name of another person.

"Identity fraud is a third degree felony if the value of the credit, goods, services, or any other thing of value is less than $5,000; or a second degree felony if the value of the credit, goods, services, or any other thing of value is or exceeds $5,000.

"Personal identifying information may include: name, address, telephone number, driver's license number, social security number, place of employment, employee id numbers, mother's maiden name, electronic identification numbers, digital signatures or a private key or any other numbers or information that can be used to access a person's financial resources or medical information in the name of another person without the consent of that person except for the numbers or information that can be prosecuted as financial transaction card offenses starting under Section 76-6-506.

Identity fraud is a serious crime. People whose identities have been stolen can spend years and thousands of dollars cleaning up the mess the thieves have made of their good name and credit record. Victims may lose job opportunities, be refused loans for education, housing, cars, or even be arrested for crimes they didn't commit.

Start Taking The Steps To Protect Your Identity

  • Order a copy of your credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus. These typically cost $9 each and show information such as where you live, accounts that have been opened in your name, and whether you have ever filed for bankruptcy.

    Equifax -
    To order a report, call 800-685-1111
    To report fraud, call 800-525-6285
    TDD 800-255-0056
    To write: PO Box 740241
    Atlanta GA 30374-0241

    Experian -
    To order a report, call 888-397-3742
    To report fraud, call 888-397-3742
    TDD 800-972-0322
    To write: PO Box 9532
    Allen TX 75013

    TransUnion -
    To order a report, call 800-888-4213
    To report fraud, call 800-680-7289
    TDD 877-553-7803
    To write: Fraud Victim Assistance Dept.
    PO Box 6790
    Fullerton CA 92634-6790

  • Do not carry extra credit cards, passports, Social Security cards, or birth certificates in your wallet.
  • Create unique passwords and personal identification numbers for your accounts. Avoid using information like your date of birth, phone number, mother's maiden name, or the last four digits of your Social Security number.
  • Do not give your Social Security number or other personal information to a person or company unless you have invited the contact and understand why this information is required and how it will be used.
  • Guard your mail and trash against theft. Promptly remove incoming mail and always place outgoing mail in a post office collection box, not in your mailbox with the flag up. Also, buy a shredder and shred documents that contain any personally identifiable information before throwing it in the trash.
  • Read account statements carefully and make sure that all charges are legitimate. In addition, contact a creditor or bank if your statement does not arrive on time.
  • Use extreme caution with computers. Use a firewall program, especially if you use a high speed Internet connection. Use a secure browser to guard the security of your on-line transactions. Avoid storing financial information on your laptop and delete all personal information and files prior to disposing of an old computer.
  • Do not leave valuables such as purses, luggage, and laptops unattended.
  • Be aware of your surroundings when using financial transaction card. Camera phones are becoming ore popular and can easily be used to record your card number and personal identification numbers.

If you have questions or would like additional information please contact Karen Arroyo at (801) 336-3599.



It Could Happen To You ...

Stalking involves one person's obsessed behavior toward another person. It frequently will not stay contained to just the victim, but can extend to other family members and friends. A victim can be stalked for several days, weeks or even years.

Victims can be casual acquaintances, a complete stranger or a former intimate partner.

What You Can Do...

  • File a report with the police department
  • Try to avoid all personal contact
  • Tell your stalker once, clearly "NO"
  • Don't let personal information be released
  • Remove identification from checks, etc.
  • Get a PO box
  • Get a form from the State Tax Commission to prevent access to vehicle information that may lead to your address (no charge to do this)
  • Get a new driver's license with PO Box address and contact the DL Division to protect your personal information (no charge to do this)
  • Let everyone around you know what is going on
  • Always be alert and aware of your surroundings, mail, packages, etc.
  • Tape record calls and messages from stalker
  • Document everything and report it to police

Get a Civil Stalking Injunction

--There is no cost to obtain one.

To qualify: Be a victim of stalking or harassment behaviors that cause alarm and distress.

What you need:

  • A list or journal of every contact by the stalker
  • NOTARIZED witness statements
  • Copies of police reports documenting stalking
  • Copies of letters or notes and transcripts of telephone messages or things said.

Safety Plan

  • Always have in mind an escape route
  • Keep money and keys ready or know where an extra set is hidden outside the home
  • Use a code word with your children to go for help
  • Stay out of the bathroom, kitchen, garage or weapons areas
  • Start a secret savings account
  • Always have change for a phone call
  • Know where you can go to be safe
  • Know where the women's shelter is
  • Change doors and window locks
  • Install security lights
  • Inform neighbors of the danger
  • Obtain a Protective Order or Civil Stalking Injunction and keep it with you
  • Report every violation of Protective Order or Civil Stalking Injunction
  • Inform your employer of the danger
  • Get a dog
  • Learn to hang up the phone and close doors on abusive persons
  • If followed, drive to the police station
  • Use different banks, stores, etc. than your abuser will be aware of
  • Have someone you can talk to about emotional needs
  • Attend a workshop or support group
  • Go to counseling
  • Know what appeals to you in the relationship so you can guard against returning to the abuse

Victim Services FAQ

What is "crime victim reparations"?
Crime victim reparations is a federal compensation program funded by fines paid by criminal offenders. You may be eligible for this program if a police report has been filed.
What is "restitution"?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(11) defines restitution as full, partial or nominal payment for pecuniary damages to a victim including the accrual of interest from the time of sentencing, insured damages, and payment for expenses to a governmental entity for extradition or transportation and as further defined by law.
Who is considered a victim?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(14)(a) defines a victim as any person whom the court determines has suffered pecuniary damages as a result of a defendant's criminal activities. A victim does not include any codefendant in the defendant's criminal activities.
What is criminal activity?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(2) defines criminal activity as any offense of which the defendant is convicted or any other criminal conduct for which the defendant admits responsibility to the sentencing court with or without an admission of committing the criminal conduct.
What are pecuniary damages?
Utah Code 77-38a-102(6) defines pecuniary damages as all special damages, but not general damages, which a person could recover against the defendant in a civil action arising out of the facts or events constituting the defendant's criminal activities and includes the money equivalent of property taken, destroyed, broken, or otherwise harmed, and losses including earnings and medical expenses.
How do I apply for restitution?

Restitution must be requested through the criminal case. So, if restitution is needed for an item that was stolen, the request must be submitted through the theft case filed against the defendant.

Restitution can be requested through the prosecutor's victim advocate program. A formed called a "Victim Impact Statement" will be provided which needs to be completed, signed and returned with copies of receipts or other documents that support the claim.

If a victim advocate is not available in your area, restitution can also be requested by submitting a letter to the court that includes the court case number, the amount of restitution requested and copies of receipts or other documents that support the claim.

How does the court decide what to order for restitution?

Utah Code 77-38a-302

Utah Code states that the things to be considered in determining restitution are:

  • the cost of the damage or lost property
  • the cost of the medical and related professional services and devices
  • the cost of funeral and related services
  • the financial resources of the defendant
  • the ability of the defendant to pay
  • the rehabilitative effect on the defendant of the payment of restitution
  • other circumstances which the court deems relevant
If restitution is ordered to me, how do I collect it?

If restitution is ordered to be paid to you, the defendant will pay it to the court or through a probation agency. The court or probation agency will then forward a check to you for the amount paid.

If you do not receive payments as ordered, contact the court first and they can either tell you what the delay is, how to get the matter back on the court calendar for non-payment or who the probation agency is that should be collecting the restitution.

Is there any other way to get restitution for my medical bills without having to wait for the defendant to pay restitution?

Crime Victim Reparations is a federal compensation program funded by fines paid by criminal offenders. You may be eligible for this program if you are a victim of a crime against persons and if a police report has been filed.

For complete information on restitution, refer to Utah Code section 77-38a.